HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

All about RICE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: All about RICE Reply with quote

Ok, all this rice talk has seemed to stir up some good discussions here.

Basically nowadays the term "rice" means a car that is all show and no go with really useless "mods".

The term started out quite a while ago when the japanese car market began to outsell the american car market. The japanese marketed their cars to be (mostly) economic and cost a lot less to make. The term rice or riceeaters was given to these "new" jap cars as a derrogatory term by american made car enthusiasts.

Fast forward to recently, people have began trying to convert these cheap economic cars racing machines. Not by doing proper mods to the right areas but making it LOOK like the car is fast, when its not actually any faster than a stockie, the term rice was associated with these people and it has kinda stuck.

So basically a riced up car is a car that has useless and tastless additions (ridiculous body kits, neons, stickersfor mods that the car doesn't have, etc) to it and is basically all show and no go.

A perfect example of rice is how people often put type-r stickers on their civics to make them look like they are the much faster (and differently powered) type-r civics.

Of course today there are tonnes of really damn quick japanese cars, but this is how it all started out.
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: All about RICE Reply with quote

i second that, my mate puts stickers on his accord saying its a type r and puts basically free advertising for mods and brands that he aint even got all over his car.....i told him how stupid he was and i think he realised he took off the type r badge and some of the stickers!! but as for my rice mobile, it's my first car so as long as it looks good i don't care... personally i thought i'd never be caught dead in a 4 cyl but now i got a sweet looking gem so i'm happy,
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: All about RICE Reply with quote

Hehe, I had 2.0 and "twin cam injection" badges on my gem when I got it.

I took them off cause I felt like an idiot, despite the fact that the car IS a 2.0 twin cam EFI Smile

Keep the sleeper look I guess Smile
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: All about RICE Reply with quote

i thought rice only referred to any jap car, be it covered with stickers/fibreglass or not.whoever i got cranky at for saying that he/she didnt like 'rice',sorry bout that!86S/LE
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: All about RICE Reply with quote

Rice doesnt only refer to useless additions like ridiculous looking bodykits or stupid yellow stickes covering half the car, but also has a "racist" undertone about the people who drive them. Generally any jap car driven by asians, wogs or whiteboys whos parents have way too much money will be referred to as a rice car. Ill add that any late model jap car that has some sportiness about it, icl skylines and silvias and 180sx's etc. are riceboy cars in stock trim. Cos all it takes is that one sticker or set of mags or bodykit or blowoff valve or ridicluous muffler to make it full rice.
bill
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: All about RICE Reply with quote

I like that... incipient rice. hehehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: