HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

exhaust popping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: exhaust popping Reply with quote

This evening I noticed a bit of exhaust popping at idle and I'm wondering what might have suddenly caused this to begin? ( I don't believe it is a result of a lean mixture). everything is new 5000km ago. Could be the points and plugs? what else?
Cheers
joeblow
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

Tight valve maybe? It's hard to tune by email
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

you mean like a miss? itll idle fine then pop and then fine idle again, sometimes 3 in a row, rapidly?

its normal dude, relax.
i dont know of any gem that doesnt have this problem.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

hmmm, it's quite a loud pop but not as loud as the backfiring I get backing off. I'd almost go as far as to say a small backfire?
This engine never did this until yesterday.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

My turbocharged Gemini started doing this the other day, it had been doing it for a while but it was definatly getting worse. I did a compression test and all compressions were perfectly even and none were too low (remember, this is a low compression turbo motor). I checked the tappets, they were all perfect. Thinking this was really strange I figured that mabye my spark plugs wern't quite up to scratch (gas is harder to 'fire up' than petrol especially on a low compression turbo motor), the spark plugs looked fine and were only 3000 klms old but I thought i'd give it a go....

Went down and bought the spark plugs, popped the bonnet and went to put them in when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye....

The inlet manifold gasket was blown out on the number one intake port, probably as a result of 10 psi boost and a cheap, paper gasket! I whipped off the intake manifold, replaced the gasket with a new, thicker fibre gasket, bolted everything back together and fired up the engine.

The miss was totally gone and the car idled far nicer, no more popping through the exhaust!

Check for induction leaks causing a lean mixture at idle....It fixed my car.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

thanks, i'll take a look tomorrow
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

Normal, haha. You haven't heard mine running then Smile

Lublublublublulublublublublubbin, all day long.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

Well come around to my place and Ill show you some that dont do that.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust popping Reply with quote

I'll also show you one that dosen't 'pop'....

On a heavily modified G180Z turbo with a turbo grind cam....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: