HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G161 or G200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: G161 or G200 Reply with quote

G'day,
Engine upgrade... would it be best (money and performance wise) to buy a G161 and bore it out to 2L, or buy a G200, which will need bottom end rebuild anyway. So basically, the same work is being done on both engines, just one is already a 2L and one would be bored to 2L.

Is there much different about the G200? Is it EFI or anything? Or is it just basically the same except larger?

Replies as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 or G200 Reply with quote

there exacly the same engines but one is bigger. And the g200 isnt EFI. read the workshop article and theres something in there about boring and stuff. i read it today. Go the g161 ive got 2 of them for sale for more info on em email at: gemini_driving_yobbo@hotmail.com
little red wagon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: G161 or G200 Reply with quote

i dont thing the bore size is much different more of the stroke
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: G200 Reply with quote

the g200 has a longer stroke. so, this makes it not quite so "revvy" as the g161 which obviously has a shorter stroke.

i'd go the g200. Not because i have one but its the reason i do lol.

the longer stroke will produce more low down torque. which is what u want for the street. The same profile cam in a g161 will produce peak power typically around 1000rpm higher than the g200. why stress ur bottom end? This way u dont have to dump the clutch at 3 grand to avoid bogging down. it'll pull hard from low down in the rev range.

granted they're slightly more expensive to buy initially but this will be offset by the extensive machining to ur g161 anyway to increase the bore size anyway....

there was a couple for sale in the car/parts forum. have a look and a think too.

take it eaz
mooch
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 Reply with quote

buy mine please. see car parts for sale forum.

greg.
come on i asked nicely?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: