HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Dilema - Can anyone help ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

My beloved gem will not start at all ! I noticed something was dodgy a while back as it was really hard to get started so the other day I rang up just gemini spares and said I'd drop the car in for them to have a look.

Well, I try to start it and no start Sad The starter cranks over fine but the engine won't kick. Kinda weird since I had it running relatively easily the night before, yet the night before that it wouldn't start.

My last option would be to push it to a local garage near my house, but quite frankly I don't trust them and they would probably have a spazz and overcharge me. I'd rather take it to just geminis since steve there knows the car pretty well as a friend of his used to own it before me apparently.

How much does a car trailer cost to hire and where could I get one from ? This seems like my only real option.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to get it there ?

Would it be worth trying a pushstart ? I'm not sure since it seems pointless cos the starter is cranking fine.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

check your spark at a sparkplug lead and at the coil. if you've got spark check your plugs. try that for starters
HighTeK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

Yo Soop,

1. Did u check the fuel pump,( it might have died on u alltogether) Somtimes the wire comes lose and the car wont start becouse there is no fuel in the carby. Its located in the boot in the middle of the fuel tank there should be a wire connected.

This happend to me once, unless its a TG, then the Fuel pump is machanical and i can't help.

2 Check your points, E.g Spark pluges, leads, distrubuter, timming might be out.

If the was running like shit, it might be the timing.

It will be something simple, Geminis r very reliable.

Hope this helps, If u have anymore info it would help to find the fault.

Don't give up, and don't take the gem to those dodgy machanics. U don't know how rite u r.

From RPMCrazy. Smile
Mr Hanky
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

Process of elimination, as CuGem says check for spark - then check for fuel, you should have a fuel filter in the engine bay. Check to see that there is fuel in there, or look into the throat of the carbie and see if it's getting any fuel, if there isn't then check your fuel pump, if you need more info on checking your fuel pump and don't have a manual handy, reply back and I will post the details of how to check pump rate etc.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

if its your starter motor or distribitor ive got one and im in brizzy (fill in your details) email me at gemini_driving_yobbo@hotmail.com
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

you're faster than a tow truck to an accident yob!
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

oi are u selling parts too????? u better not i got here first. u better get the hell out of here this is my territory.hehehhe read the topic abbove and u know y i need money and ive got a whole car sitting in the driveway
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

Firstly, im not running a standard gemi donk. I've got a 2litre twin cam (isuzu) with fuel injection. The computer is a standard delco.

I believe the fuel pump is working fine. As when you turn the ignition you can here the pump turning on, so I presume its not that.

I've checked the leads and plugs and such. Checked the plugs for fuel on them so the injectors aren't prolly leaking. However they may just be fucked altogether and jammed up ?

One thing, I've noticied. I've lost a bolt that holds on the distributor so naturally theres a tiny bit of play in it and this is probably retarding and advancing the timing. I moved it a bit when the engine was running and it didn't put it too out of wack. However I reckon the problem may be something here..

I'm pretty sure its not getting enough fuel. Theres enough fuel pressure (I have a fuelpressure guage in the engine bay) but I don't think its getting to the engine. Since as an experiment I tried starting it and pumped the gas heaps to see if I could at least flood it and get a petrol smell. Didn't do a thing. When usually before it would.

Regarding dodgy mechanics, steve from just geminis in adelaide is a pretty good guy. I know shitall about mechanics/cars Sad

Any other ideas?

Also, once started the engine runs sweet as. Nice steady revs and no flatspots or anything. It goes really great.. ONCE its going Smile

Thanks for your help guys.. I'd be lost without this site!
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

on the subject of timing. is it turning over fine or does it seem to be 'hesitating'? ie similar to a low battery.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

Seems to turn over ok. Not as fast as when the engine is warm.

Sometimes on the first couple of turns it will hesitate.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

uhhuh. maybe you have too much static advance. try turning the dizzy anticlockwise in small increments and see if it turns over better/starts - i dunno. you might want to check your points gap too.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dilema - Can anyone help ? Reply with quote

well i would spray crc into the dizzy cab it sounds like dirty points if its cranking fine
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

I don't know that much about EFI, but maybe one of the sensors is stuffed? The computer may need some piece of info to start and not to run? Just an idea.

Good luck, Greg.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Heres some more info.. Reply with quote

I think its something like this.

Explains the on and off starting.

Arghh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: