HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Play in distributor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Play in distributor Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance here, but I have a g200 twin cam in my td. I noticed that there is some play in the distributor, probably around 2-3 mm that you can turn back and forth.

Should it be like this ? I have a lot of trouble starting the car, is this part of the problem ?

Also if it needs to be tightened, how should it be done.

Cheers.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in distributor Reply with quote

mine was a shit to start for a while there but after checking the wires from the battery-alternator-starter and gettign a new battery it starts a hell of a lot easier

they need a fair bit of juice to get them going

i think someone here said its usually electrical problems that made a car hard to start before anything else
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in distributor Reply with quote

you should be able to rotate the rotor around slightly in all cars that have mechanical advances. including non-efi g200's.

-woz
Andrew
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Play in distributor Reply with quote

Although if the rotor moves SIDEWAYS then there's a problem. My old dizzy had a fair bit of movement - can put ya timing out by up to 6 deg.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Play in distributor Reply with quote

u have a big prob too if the dizzy shaft moves up or down toomuch aswell
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: PROBLEM FOUND ! Reply with quote

One of the bolts was MISSING ! WTF ! Causing it to rock back and forth and advance/retard my timing.

Gotta somehow get a bolt that fits and do the timing. May help with the dodgy starting.. i hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: