HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

cough and splutters when cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: cough and splutters when cold Reply with quote

when i start my gemmy it starts straight away and will idle fine, i can slowly put my foot down and it will work normally, however if i try to say put my foot down and go straight to 1700rpm it will cut out. so i slowly rev it for about 30 seconds and then its ok, i can rev it freely without any conking out, my question is, is there any way to fix this or should i just learn to live with it?
my mate said it could be the plugs?
any help is appreciated
cheers
kizza
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cough and splutters when cold Reply with quote

yeah thats normal, it's just because the insides of the engine arnt hot enough to mix the air and fuel togeather propley..
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: cough and splutters when cold Reply with quote

so theres no easy fix other then efi?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cough and splutters when cold Reply with quote

use the choke and let it warm up for 5 minutes
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: cough and splutters when cold Reply with quote

this can happen when you've got a slightly dirty carby, maybe spray the inside out with carby cleaner, or take it off and emerse it in kero for the night after giving it a good wash [with kero too].

it could also be the plugs - take them out, give them a quick clean with wd40 & wire brush & sandpaper (gently with the sandpaper) & if that makes a difference spend $15 on new NGK plugs.

check the points maybe???

ive found electronic ignition to help vastly with this exact problem; it certainly fixed my car when i first got it!

but as a rule your gemini should be able to be driven while coldish in standard form.

good luck!!!

-woz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: