HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

S$%^ ! What have I done ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

I've just put a new dash in my td wagon. In order to get the new one in I had to take off bolts holding up the steering column to push the column down to get the old dash off.

I put in the new dash and go to do up the steering column bolts and its all crooked. The steering column comes out at a slight angle, which is pretty noticable from above.

I've tried just pushing it accross and racking up the bolts to hold it but even then its still wonky.

My fear is with all my fucking around with the steering column I've bent, warped or broken something. The steering still works fine however but I just cant get the column straight again. ARGHH !

Any ideas on what the hell I've done wrong here.

Oh yeh, my earlier post on the speedo prob. I pushed the cable in properly I think. My speedo needle is below 0.. hanging straight down. Will this go back to normal after I've driven the car and the cable has spun into place?
Ben J
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

Hey, i used to own a td wagon and did the EXACT same thing, and THOUGHT THE EXACT SAME THING!

Deja Vu!

All make sure all the bolts are undone and i just used a shitload of force and put it back thru the threads then preceeded to do up all the bolts Smile

And roberts ya Mothers Brother

Ben
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

Phew, thats relieving to hear.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

yes the steering column comes out at a slight angle.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

How much of an angle ?

I'm too scared to put too much force on mine incase I break something. I cranked it up a fair way and took it for a drive, it seemed ok but was still on a noticable angle.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

Hmmm, difficult to judge but I would say around 10degrees, angling out towards the left
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

Angling from the left from above (outside looking down on the car)?

Or from the left from the position of sitting in the seat.

Mine points in the direction of the inside door.. thats a bit easier Smile Is that what you mean ?
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

the left side of the steering wheel is further from the dash than the right side.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: S$%^ ! What have I done ? Reply with quote

yeah that's what I mean, the column points a little towards the door...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: