HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Mags - Diff, Brake Upgrade - Please Read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Mags - Diff, Brake Upgrade - Please Read Reply with quote

G'day,
I really need new tyres on my TE gem.

I at some stage have always wanted to do a brake upgrade, now I understand if I do this (front and rear), it will probably change the stud pattern to a 5 stud? Is this correct?

Therefore, I am thinking of doing a brake upgrade, and buying some new (prob 17") rims and tyres. Will the brake upgrade (front and rear) change the offset at all?

Also, I am planning on placing an LSD diff in at some point, I've heard you get a VL(?) diff centre and shortened axles... will this impact my rear brake upgrade or offset (will the new diff axles come with disc brakes on them?, or if I do an upgrade now, can I at a later stage place the new brakes onto the new axles?)

If the placing an LSD diff in will come with new brakes, I need to know.

Currently I have some 6-spoke 13" jellybean mags, if anyone is interest Wink

Sorry about the long post, but can you please answer all my questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mags - Diff, Brake Upgrade - Please Read Reply with quote

blah. to many questions!! heheh.
yeah the vl thing works.
brake upgrade wont change your stud patern or offset unless u want it to.
i also have polised jellys for sale in bris
gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mags - Diff, Brake Upgrade - Please Read Reply with quote

It seems like you are asking a question, one which I have heard a few times before, the question being, 'How long is a piece of string?'.

You can do various brake upgrade, some will necessitate a stud pattern change, some wont.

If cahsing an LSD, you can fit an LSD centre in your current diff, or get a completly new type of diff, I guess you should chase one with disk brakes. Generally, you can use the stud pattern of the new diff, or redrill it for whatever pattern you want.

A new diff will change the rear offset, unless you get it modified to suit whatever offset you specify. The front offset will only change with a different hub like HQ 5 stud, but not by much, say +- 10mm I guess. The easiest conversion is to swap just the disk and caliper, keeping your hub.

Maybe you should search the old posts on these topics, all the answers will be there.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: