HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Write off!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Write off! Reply with quote

Just scratching through the autospeed site......found this little number...called "money Pits"
http://www.autospeed.com/A_1300/page1.html
basically theyre saying to fuck off the gem and buy a new ricer because you cant get any decent power without spending a heap.
"Gemini is still mincemeat for 90 percent of today's cars. Take a look around - most contemporary Corollas, Hyundais and all of the larger cars are far and away quicker."
fuck em i say....Musnt have heard of a rotary then, dust any farkin corolla.
mind you, i am not registered there, so i couldnt view the other 5 odd pages, the cynical tone may have changed, but what i read is enough for me.
cheers
Andrew65
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

Pay to be a member of a forum???
Just shows how much these guys know...
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

They're forgetting Gemini is RWD and since then all small cars have been downgraded to fwd Smile
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

well considering that with a motor that all geminis should have had (the 1.8l twincam) have the same power on paper as the LATEST corolla thats pretty bloody pathetic.

what they actually have wrong in that article is how much money it takes to make them go quickly reliably. A bit of engine work (with parts galore) and you've got 150hp easy
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

have u noticed how much heavyier these new cars are? most of them far exceed the 800kgs or so of gem, but they seem to have all the structural integrity of a coke can. if a gem had the same motor eg 4age it would blow the pants of a corolla completely stocko. not to mention the relative lack of traction issues, but hey they are a old car now so we shouldn't expect much out of a $2000 car right? I,ll try to remember that when i dust off all these $15000+ cars in my old rotary gem. horses for courses i spose but i will stick to rear wheel drive and enjoy proper burnouts!
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Go da Gem Reply with quote

Well, lets wait and see who is laughing when i wear my new engine in. then we will have some fun.

when i had my 1800 worked engine that killed most of those cars mentioned.. with a 3 SPEED AUTO!!!. YEA.

well, have fun. i am buying a new car feb next year. i will always keep da Gem tho. got to love it.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! NOT!!! Reply with quote

The Gem's are RWD You just cannot get that in a small car these days, let alone the tuff build of the Gem,

I wonder how many Rice munchers will actually be still on the road 20+ years from now???
most of you on here if you had the money ie $15K to buy or build a 4 cylnder car. What would you do!

I bloddy well know if I was given the chance again I would build something simular to what I have
1.6 Turbo 5spd 9inch LPG Gem it's fun and even toasts xr8's and ss commo's

POWER TO WEIGHT !!! the gem has it by far.

Nothing more fun that having a country run with a WRX owner and overtaking him with the speed of the clock, the look on his face was worth every dollar I have spent. he was shaking his head in disgust, he could not believe, then chaning into 5th and leaving him well behind.

Boost all the way I say and put it in a Gem.

Cheers
Eggy
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Go da Gem Reply with quote

What have you now got in it?
Cheers
Eggy
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

Downgraded? Not in BHP. A FWD will get more power to the wheels than a RWD, given the same amount of engine HP.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

Geminis weight in the range of 900 - 950 kgs , OK?
A ford KE Laser weighs about 970 kgs. OK?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

but not as much fun, you cannot drift a front wheeler as easily as a rear
understeer and touque steer both suck.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! NOT!!! Reply with quote

the mildest WRX turbo has 200hp on tap I believe. So he couldnt have been trying at all. grandad was it?
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Go da Gem Reply with quote

Yeah, tell us about this 1800 that "kills" all these cars using the 3 speed auto. Id like the details.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! Reply with quote

Tell me something I dont know
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Write off! NOT!!! Reply with quote

yeah dont forget that a WRX wieghs 300kg more than a gem and 200 hp in a gem will make the gem go harder than a WRX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: