HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Building a 1600! --(Paulo)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 7:15 pm    Post subject: Building a 1600! --(Paulo) Reply with quote

Does anyone know about getting the best power out of a stock 1600? I have a budget of about $700, but i can get all parts at trade price! i can get the head and block worked also at trade prices! Any sugestions are welcome!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 1600! --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Paulo, the biggest limit on the power you will push out of the G161 is obviously budget.

1. Rip the engine apart

2. Throw away the old pistons, bearings, oil and water pumps, cam chain, valves etc.

3. Buy a new oil pump, front main seal, rear main seal, water pump, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, 1800cc pistons, piston rings, big valves, valve springs, valve liners, big end bearings, main bearings, crank thrust bearings, gaskets, big end bolts, head bolts, main bearing bolts and probably a speedy sleeve for the crank.

4. Have the block bored and honed to fit G180 pistons and then get it decked as much as necessary to ensure a zero deck height.

5. Send the crank, rods, flywheel and new pistons away to be balanced, to be thorough have the rods closed and honed (and if you can get it done cheaply the mains too)

6. Buy a carton of beer, go around to a whoever is doing this head work cheaply for you, pay him whatever he asks, plus the beer, get him to do a thorough port and polish, and preferably 3 angle valve seats, make sure while you are there you get him to lap the valves to the seats, cos whilst three pretty angles look nice on the head it ain't no use unless you have valves to seal the holes with.

The secret to engine power lies in the head, the bottom end is just a pump, up and down, the head is the limiting factor, a good headjob goes a long way.

pfft, that is all I am gonna bother typing, er, goto
http://users.bigpond.com/afroboy_adam/gemini.html
that runs through the basics, but really doesn't mention headwork, which is a pity.

of course, you would be silly not to just go and buy a G200 as your base, it will cost about the same to rebuild and will make 25% more power (in theory)
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2000 7:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your mess --(Paulo) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Adam, I'm just currenly waiting for my tax return money to come, so then i can have all the stuff done to the engine! Your web page is pretty good but i'm pretty sure that i've seen that info in a gemini magazine! I just hope that all works well and that it won't stuff up my car!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for your mess --(Adam Gibson) Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said, stolen from a gemini mag.

I just started practicing some basic rebuild preparation on my old 1600, email me and I will give you a run down
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: