HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Replacing Starter motor tricks ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

G'day all, Last time i pulled my engine out i remember the starter motor being a bit of a proverbial to get out of the engine bay. I could get to it o.k and undo everything, but the damn thing was too big to slide out anywhere. I ended up taking the inlet manifold off as this was going to come off anyway.
I'm about to replace the starter, so has anyone got any helpful tips on how to get it out fairly easily ? Without having to remove anything that requires more money to re-fit.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

You obviuosly have an inlet manifold that has the EGR valve on it. Your solution is to remove the EGR valve, and plug up the holes. Then the starter motor will slide out between the manifold, and the engine mount. otherwise, bolt on a pre EGR manifold.(mid series TD and earlier)
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

depending on if you have EGR fitted to the bottom of your intake manifold, (Being Gold TX you should be fine) it can be easy or hard, it does just fit under the pre EGR manifold and comes out infront of the radiator, OR it just will fit down between the gearbox and the fire wall just keep turning it around until you find the correct angle, but you should not have to remove the manifold.

cheers
Eggy
Mr bayce
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

Yeah thats true, it will fit between the gearbox and the firewall. It took me about 10mins to get the piece of shit out too!
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

easy way is to unbolt the engine mount and lift it up on a trolley jack and it should be able to drop down and slide out.

The gemini starter motor is definelty easier than the 202 starter motor becuase my xtractors hug the block :/
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thanx 4 the tips... Reply with quote

Thanx everyone for your help, it's really appreciated. The undoing of the engine mount was my first brain-storm, but i wanted to avoid it. So i'll try the methods you've all suggested, it sounds like it should be o.k with a bit of cursing and swearing.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Starter motor tricks ?? Reply with quote

From emeory, I dont think IT will fit down the between the g/box and steering coloumn on a TF/TG, those later steering columns make it hard, you'd have to lift the engine up on one side as suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: