HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

gemini crank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: gemini crank Reply with quote

i read that the gemini crank is forged steel. so that means it will holdover 7000rpm with out any risk of braking?
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

hmmm...

i don't think RPM is what would break a crank, a lot of objects could spin that quick and not break if they were ballanced up and secured well ... it would be more the amount of torque or load that the crank has to with stand... depends on where the peak power of your engine is produced i guess...and how much power you want to produce and what sort of weight you're gonna be hauling ...

late night thought ...
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

well its a gemini coupe and i was reading engine buiklders recommendation of running V8's above 7000rpm to run a steel crank plus its a andra recommendation
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

Don't think the stock crank is steel, too expensive for a production car of the mid to late seventies. Mind you, it is a 5 main journal crank that's as tough as nails. Know if one turbo Gemini years ago with 350hp at the wheels, spin to 8000, crank's survived, no problemo!
And in 10 years haven't heard of a broken one yet.

Yonnee.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

Amen to that. twin cams motors run 7 - 8000 stock, and often produce over 100 hp per litre, and they are generally cast steel as well. I have never heard of a stock crank breaking in any street car engine.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

hm well if you read any of the manuals it said FORGED STEEL CRANK. dont forget that the isuzu bellet was ahead of its time and the good old G161 was a truck motor found in rodeos and dont tell me they werent. my brother in law works for major motors
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

Twin cam isuzu engines definately run a forged steel crank.
I know because when I had my engine rebuilt the crank was Nitrided which is done on forged cranks.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

Just because you see Nitriding doesnt mean its a forged crank. Thats commonly done on stock cranks as well. I have built a g180 twin cam, and the crank weighed roughly about the same as the G161, so I doubt it was forged.

Considering a G180/G200 DOHC only outputs 130 hp stock , it doesnt seem necessary to have a forged crank.

Unless of course, as EVLGEM says, the g161 is forged steel in the first place. Which manual are you getting that info from, Id be interested to know.?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

im reading from the TX gemini diy manual and it also says they have forged rods too?
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: gemini crank Reply with quote

TX gemini diy manual ? whats the real name?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: