HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Spare inlet port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Hanky
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

Does anyone know why someone would drill out the spare inlet port at the front of a CDT S3 head? It opens onto the timing chain gallery and looks like something may have been bolted to it - could it be for an oil line to the turbo, -from there?? It's got my stumped??

**SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE**
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

Maybe for a support bracket for the turbo? oil return line?

Or you are looking at the mechanical fuel pump mount? wich runs of the from of the camshaft.

Cheers

Eggy
Mr Hanky
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

Thanks Eggy - but would a mechanical fuel pump be required for a draw through turbo setup? I thought that it was possibly an oil return line. But can you tell me more about these mechanical pumps? How exactly do they work?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

OK,

TF TG had a mechanical fuel pump mounted infront of the inlet manifold with 2 bolts, also there will be an offset cam that bolts onto the front of the camshaft sprocket, the fuel pump has and arm that runs on the offset cam, thus pumping fuel, if the head is from one of these motors ie TF TG, then that would be what it is for, you can make a cover plate and run and electric pump if you like, but a TF or TG do not have the pump in the tank like earlier models.

cheers
Eggy
Mr Hanky
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

Argh - righto that sounds like it then - cause it came off a TF panel van last!

Cheers Eggy - thanks for your help. I might use it for the oil return line from the turbo then.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

Yeah it could be used for that, thou I have run my oil return line straight into the sump below the turbo, you will create extra oil traffic into the timing case due to the oil from the turbo (Very hot) now traveling back to the sump via the timing case.

Cheers
Eggy
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

You could drill it out and use it as an oil return which will run fine for about 5 seconds before the oil builds up in the return line and does the seal in the turbo. Once this goes theres going to be lots of smoke. The oil return NEEDS to be gravity fed for an easy, non restricted flow therefore the only place that this can be done is below the turbo ie. sump. You will have to pull the motor out and modify the sump. It sucks but thats life. Well worth it in the end though.
EVLJT
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare inlet port? Reply with quote

If the head is from a CDT S3 it could be a turbo oil dump as the s3 was a turbo package.
Mr Hanky
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Lucky for that!!! Reply with quote

Turbs, thanks for that advice - I'm not dilling anything out - it's already got a whole there and I was wondering what it would have been for, but eggy kindly told me about the mechanical fuel pumps that used to be run in TF's. Seeing as I have a TD and no need for a mach pump I was wondering what I could use it for - but now thanks to you I know I can't use it for my oil return line - cheerin, I'll just seal it up me thinks! Thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: