HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Weber-worth the money or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoking TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

just wondering if it is worth sticking a weber on my gem. i can get one for $60 and was just wondering if it is too expensive for what power (or lack of it) i will gain.also how much will the fuel consumption go up and what parts do i need to attach it besides the manifold.the only mods to my engine as far as i know are the extractors.
any help appreciated
thanks
p.s. no smart arse useless posts please
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

Definatly get it dude its worth the money i recon.u will need an adapter plate and thats about it so tools might help too( theres your smart ass comment) Dunno about fuel comsumption becasue i put mine on when i converted it to a manual so it went up becasue i was driving it harder. u will notice a big diference
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

hmmm, if the weber is in good condition, itll be worth it. i used to get 400 out of a tank with the weber and now get a little bit more then 500 with the nikki. but like i said, make sure its in good nick, a mates 2 litre goes harder with his nikki then the 32/36!! beleive it or not, thats my ten cents, my two cents is free.....
Jar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

It's worth using the weber on your gemini and if you can get one for $60 that's pretty good. I'd advise you to put a kit through it before installing it (new gaskets etc.) or get it reconditioned otherwise you may be disappointed with the performance gain u get. I take it that it's a dgv weber (the common gemini conversion) that your thinking about getting. I'm not sure about the fuel consumption for these webers, but I don't think it will go up too much, providing it is a 32/36 dgv (downdraught) weber. The parts needed for this conversion are an adaptor plate and a performance air filter. The original intake manifold works well after some heavy porting is done.
When I was doing my conversion I found a great site explaining exactly what needs to be done to install a dgv weber. It should contain all the information you need.

http://www.giant.net.au/users/wight/
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

The weber can't have been set up right if your mate was getting more power from the nikki. The fuel consumption is going to be relative to the power. More power=more fuel. Once its jetted up properly, if you drive it the the same as when you had the nikki then the fuel consumption will be the same if not less as weber carbs are more efficient.
Smoking TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber-worth the money or not? Reply with quote

yeah it sounds worth it cos it is in pretty good condition because a fella has had it sitting in the garage a while so i cleaned it out and it all runs well as far as moving parts go. it is a side draught 45mm duel throat. the filter part might need replacing because it is a bit crusty. i will shop around and see if i can pick up the other parts i need because apart from the improvement in performance they also make the engine bay look heaps neater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: