HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Should I buy that RB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mackpaq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

Hi folks - a plea to any past and present RB Gemini owners out there - I am thinking of buying my own 1985 RB. The one I have in mind is in good cond - the air con works, the electric mirrors work, done 197000K but with recent timing chain. Has the little holden alloy rims, pretty much 5 brand new tyres and does not seem to blow smoke or have any cancer (rust). The discs (brakes) are ok - the pads are brand new, and the suspension rubbers seem fine - one front shocky is leaking oil, but will clean that off for rego inspection. There is a bit of oil around the bottom of the sump, which I think can be easily remedied - will pass rego inspection if wiped off. The interior is fine - no cracks in the dash or rips in the seat. The Owner wants $800 with no rego. Sound good?
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

Sound OK, but it's a Gemini in name and stud pattern only. Four wheel drift in a front wheel drive is a scary thing! Give me RWD anyday!
Because they only had a short production life, parts for these are both scarce and expensive. For example, smashing a headlight will set you back somewhere around $600.00 genuine with nothing available aftermarket. And try finding one at the wreckers! Something to consider...
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

HE he, you think thats bad. think about the poor chap who was beaming in here the other day cos he bought a Piazza. Wait till he starts looking for parts for a 300 only imported vehicle.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

Yeah, but at least if you wreck the piazza the parts are useful. lol
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

My suggestion is to look around for a real gemini
gatesy
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

I totally agree with Gemini Driving Yobbo on this one. Unfortunately I own one of these sh*tboxes and have had nothing but trouble with it. Owned 3 TF's before the RB and never had anywhere near as many problems as this one.
Mackpaq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I bought it anyway. If it lasts a couple years for $800 - I think I'm doing ok. I will post to this site with my experiences - positive or negative. Have a safe weekend.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy that RB? Reply with quote

Oi I bought a Piazza, and parts are not expensive! Alot cheaper than prices i've heard other manufacturers charge for parts on more common cars.. Plus jap wreckers stock parts they pull off imported wrecks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: