HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Carby Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Carby Questions Reply with quote

Howdy
Im after enlightenment on a few issues about carbies.
-What are the differences between auto and manual carbies(specifically nikkis). Are the only differences in manual carbies dashpot, coasting richer solenoid, what else?
Also, can someone fill me in on exactly what the vaccum break unit does, is this common between both auto and manual carbies/nikkis??
cheers, much appreciated.
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: and....... Reply with quote

forgot to add, are there any markings which identify whether a nikki is for auto or many' ?
cheers
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

the vaccum brake unit has nothing to do with the carby...hence the term brake.....it's something to do with your brakes...as for the carby i don't think there's n e difference between and auto and manual carby...u may be thinking of the auto choke the nikki carby has ?
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

yes it does, im talking about the vaccum break unit that is connected to the choke.
do you know if all models came with coasting richer solenoids, and if both manual and auto carbies have one?
cheers......Tim
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

As far as i know, it was only the manuals that were fitted with a coasting enricher. The 5 speeds especially took advantage of this accesory with their 'overdrive' gear.
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

I'm gonna do an auto to 5 speed manual conversion on my car....does this mean i need to get a manual carby as well ?
joeblow
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

No...the only difference is the coasting enricher solenoid which comes on in 3rd and 4th gear...I've converted from auto to manual using the auto carb with no problems whatsoever...hope this helps!
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

yeah thats what i thought
could you outline what is involved in the conversion, is it merely a simple matter of fitting the coasting richer solenoid? whats invloved in fitting that
cheers.Tim
joeblow
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carby Questions Reply with quote

there's no real need 4 the solenoid, doesn't affect the driveability at all...it's only there to prevent afterburn in the exhaust on decel...i find no difference to using either the auto or manual carb with a 5 speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: