HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

camira EFI wiring loom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

this has been discussed before but not in depth it seems cause not many people here run efi...

my query is...

how much of a camira EFI loom is usable, i have read the VERY good article in workshop on EFI and i believe a camira 2l loom would do the trick. Reason being the computer that came stock in my twincam is not programmable at all but a camira Delco unit is. A mate of mine has 3 running camiras and is willing to sell me one for about 150 bucks, bargain i think cause it has everything i need on it sensors etc.

I figure it can be a bit of a project anyways i just dont wanna spend a whole lot of time and learning curve if its gonna be of absolutely no use to me.

cheers
Martin
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

Assuming you use all of the same sensors that the camira used, it should run, but it probably will need to be retuned with either a chip or by kalmaker software to get the best out of it, as the two engines are quite different. The only thing they share is capacity.

But as you seem to want to be able to program something anyway, it is a definite possibility.

I cant see though why you would not just go out and buy a seconda hand microtech, or wolf, or something like that. It will be cheaper overall, and prbably be a better option with the facility for you to tune it yourself whenever you want.

Ben Wight
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

yeah thought about that... i can get an entire camira for next to nothing and have access to a workshop with the delco tuning software etc

but yeah was more a question just for the challenge of it

which would you reccomend out of the different computers for the g180w??

wolf? motec? microtech? how tunable are they could i use an rs232 interface on them or do you have to have the console handset thing?

also tis possible to use a palm pilot as a console with the delco if u got the software
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

If you already can get tuning done for free, then it would probably be cost effective to go the delco route, but will you be using someone elses time to do this tuning? Will they be willing to do it for you whenever you want. Tuning a computer takes several hours.

I would recommend the motec, theyre not too shabby. But if you dont want to spend many thousands of dollars, especially when you will get the same results from a $500 second hand computer, then you may as well get something that will simply get results.

Every computer I can think of now has laptop programming, but most such as wolf and microtech are just as easy if not easier to tune with the handset. There are about 20 different computers on the market, I cant list them all.

If the palm pilot has a serial port, then there is no reason why you cant use it with kalmaker, assuming it has DOS, which most probably dont.

Ben Wight
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

get on ebay and buy a shit laptop, that has a working battery. they all have serial and parallel ports. All u need on it is dos which requires nothing to run on
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

Another option on that is to get one with a stuffed battery and simply rig up a plug from cigarette lighter to recharge port, so runs off car battery.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: camira EFI wiring loom Reply with quote

be careful about tuning it yourself. Unless you really know what you are doing, then you will just stuff it up. It may run, but you will never get the best out of it...
my advice is: no matter what computer you go with you should still get it properly dyno tuned/mapped

I have the EFI from an astra/pulsar 1.8 which is basically the same as the camira. besides the loom and the sensors which you need anyway, and the computer, you will also need high pressure pump, injectors, high pressure fuel hose, pressure reg, injector rail, inlet manifold, some of which you might be able to get off the camira. it is worth it for the loom and sensors alone, even if you go with a different computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: