HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

How low is TOO low?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: How low is TOO low? Reply with quote

been reading about chassis snapping and all the other damage that having a gem too low can cause and i as wondering how low is safe before u start causing damage. at the moment mine sits about an inch or so from the bumpstop, but there are marks on the diff where it looks like it has hit the bumpstop.
dont wanna fuck up my car, but love the look
what to do...what to do?!?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How low is TOO low? Reply with quote

just get king spring super lows. thats as leagl low as u can go anyways. there made to handle that hight and not brake anything
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: How low is TOO low? Reply with quote

in nsw the legal limit is 100mm off the ground at any given part of the chassy (i'm pretty sure anyways). i think skirts are allowed to hang lower though.... hmmm
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifty - take note. Reply with quote

Take note of the thread below called "is this common". Too close to the bump stops, and this is the sort of shit that happens. A road car should not bottom out often.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifty - take note. Reply with quote

if you've got the cash get koni adjustable shocks so you can experiment with slightly different ride heights to see what works best.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How low is TOO low? Reply with quote

Depends on what state you are in, in VIc, too low is less than 100mm measured from the ground to anwhere on the car except the axles and associated brake and suspension componentry.

As far as cracking the chassis, i've never heard of this happenning. Something is going wrong there. If you are seriously hitting your bumpstops hard when hitting a bump in the raod, then your springs are too soft for the amount of travel that you have available.

The mark on your diff where the bumpstop is hitting, this is somewhat normal, thats what bumpstops are for, but you shouldn't be continually hitting it.

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Reply with quote

Adjustable shocker will only change the hardness of the shocker, or its resistance to movement. They won't, I repeat won't change the ride height. The springs do that.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How low is TOO low? Reply with quote

Obviously u already have got MR GRINDER out on your springs and cutting em has made them as soft your cock heehehhe. If u want the lowness go out and buy HQ springs and get mr grinder out on them. Becasue there hard(no comment there)they will not bottome out and wont fuck up your chassis as they wont hit it. THe only bad side is that there abit hard and makes the ride abit bumppy but u get use to it and a hard setup lets u drift easier. My 2 cents and dont get up me for cutting springs becasue my dad cut em not ME!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: