HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Weber Problems :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

I've recently had a dgav 32/36 weber conversion on my 1600 tg gemini, but I'm not very happy with the performance because whenever I give it a boot it jerks once and hestitates for a split second then takes off. This happens especially when I'm going about 60 km/h and floor it in 4th. I've taken it to a carby tuning place and explained the problem, but they just rejetted the carby and tuned it without fixing the jerking problem. Is this problem normal with this conversion and how can you suggest to fix the problem?? It's so annoying because the standard nikki carby performed better and gave a smoother delivery of power than the weber.
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

sounds like you have a flat spot
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

sounds more like you do not understand a 32/36 DGV...

this is a mechanical secondary carbi, when you are doing about 60 in 4th that would be about 2000 rpm I guess, (been a while), you floor it both throttles open and you poor shit loads of air and fuel straight in, not at all like the standard nikki, which you can only open the small primary throttle as the secondaries are vacum controlled and probably will no open until about 3500 rpm,

try changing back to 3rd then give it a go, or even better, squeeze the throttle down,

it's not a touque moster v8 it's meant to REV!!! drop a cog and then give a boot full.....

it all depends on how you drive it.

Cheers
Eggy
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

yep, eggys got it in one! ive just taken my 32/36 off and replaced it with a nikki, sad day it was.... anywho, like eggy was saying, u cant just push the pedal down hard, after a while u will learn how to drive it fast. they are pretty power efficient wen accelerator is used GRADUALLY,
Stoktg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

Shouldnt have to. What other mods had you done to your motor or was it totaly stock with a 32/36?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

If you feel that at full throttle, whilst revving the engine out, that the nikki gave better performance, then you should be using the nikki.

If you want to fix your webber, when it sounds like your accelerator pump setting is out. You are either pumping too much fuel, or too little fuel. I now how to pump more fuel, but less is a problem.

Maybe you should pull the carb apart and clean it all out, maybe one of the accelerator pump passages or discharge jet is blocked. Does it squirt cleanly when looking doen the primary throat?

Ben Wight
Jar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

The only other engine mod I've done is installing a mild crow cam.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

Read what Ben Wight has written.

In my experience, you can't expect a Weber to perform spot on if you haven't helped the other side of the breathing equation. On my stock TF I replaced the Nikki with the Weber and arrived at a similar situation to yours. Performance was better but with a flat spot. I put my extractors on and problem mostly solved.

When my engine died, I transferred my older (worked) engine over, which has a reground cam and slightly ported/shaved head, performance jumped a mile.

With a mild cam, no head work and no extractors, she won't breathe as well as it should.
Jar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

Sorry...didn't mention that I already had extractors and a 2" exhaust system.
I can tell that the weber carby goes better when full throttle is applied, but I didn't think it would jerk when I floored it, but I'll take the carby apart and have a look to see if the carby is supplying the engine with a smooth and adequate amount of fuel.
Jar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

Another question...is it normal for the weber carby to hiss loudly when a small amount of throttle is applied. You can only notice this when the bonnet's up, but I thought it may not be normal cause I know the nikki didn't hiss at all???
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

might be an air leak between the manifold and carb. check your gaskets.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

you should check your hose connections, and gaskets, but it is usually pretty common for any carb to hiss. You just dont notice it with the nikki becasue of the air cleaner.

I guess you have an open element air cleaner. The hiss thus gives a general indication that it is breathing pretty well.

Ben Wight
Jar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber Problems :( Reply with quote

Cheers for all your advice on the weber carby fellaz...it was very helpful.

Jar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: