HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

GENE. R they picking on you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

This is going to be a novel?

You guys that are asking all the question about they FJ20 conversion should go out and have a try for yourself. I didn't know shit about engines and i have still managed to put an FJ20 into a gem. No cutting is required at all!!! The only reason I cut it because I didn't have the money to get a custom manifold made. As soon as I want to get a bigger turbo down the track, it is getting put back to the way it was. Clutch, F@#$ing easy! Tailshaft the same. Inlet manifold needs to be shortened, HAHAHAHA, my arse. (I will stop before Adam throws me out). If you are not all talk. Go out buy it for yourself, it fits, it has been proven, try it yourself!! Then stop asking questions, because you will see how easy it is.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

did you actually put the engine in the car yourself or have someone do it for you? becaus eif the engine mounts need to be moved then what a pain in the arse that would be wouldn't it?
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

I did everything myself apart from the mig welding. I designed the mounts, spot welded, tested them, then a mate welded them for me. I used the original gemini mounting blocks and made the new one to suit. The mounts shouldn't need to be moved.
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

cool, thanks man
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

How much did it cost you all up???
FJ2047
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

G.D.Y,

It is still not finished. Detailing the engine now and i]the car is sitting in primer waiting to be sprayed. It has cost me so far about 7G. I have nearly everything to finish it apart from exhaust, wheels, interior stuff. Should have it on the road engineered and registered for under 10G
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

sounds like fun hehhehhe
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GENE. R they picking on you? Reply with quote

look at his site it tells u everything u need pritty much
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Try and see what happens? - no thanks Reply with quote

IF you have money to throw away I guess....people get on here to research things b4 they buy I think.

I am not one of the people who asks about the conversion, because I researched it myself, and concluded it was not cost effective for my personal tastes. The main thing that annoyed me was the inlet manifold, the one I kept seeing at the importers was really wide(I believe there are different types), and the measurements I made suggested it would not clear the shock tower.

In fact many of the datto guys do CUT it, or go for a custom manifold, cos they take up so much room even in their cars.
Note that ALL the installs Ive seen, even the factory cars, tilt the engine over to clear the shock tower.Aesthetically, that sh*ts me, I like a 4cyl to be level (thats just me).
I also calucated it would foul on the master cylinder .
Any way you site has no pics of the install - how about putting some up of the donk in the bay, so we can all have a look? I'd liek to see what "snug" means.

The FJ20 , like any other non Isuzu motor, requires some effort to do properly. I would not say it easy. The only twin cam install I would call easy is the Isuzu g180/G200
The fact that you had to cut your firewall for the exhaust is proof it isnt easy. Work is work...who needs it?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Try and see what happens? - no thanks Reply with quote

Just a word of note, many factory installs have the engine tilted to a degree, and for the sake of not discovering any problems (oil pickup etc) I plan to replicate this angle in my install.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Try and see what happens? - no thanks Reply with quote

I would even go so far as to say MOST of them do, especially with all these front wheel drives.
Level is nice whn pulling off rocker covers, heads, and not getting so much oil spillage, thats all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: