HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Serious advice 4 engine big hp/ET's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Serious advice 4 engine big hp/ET's Reply with quote

hey,
I am wondering what kind of hp/kw would be needed to run about 15 sec. passes. My reason for asking is because my current car (HJ VCool is about this fast and i dont want a slower car. My original plans were for a G200 DOHC but after talking to Ross from SA on this forum ive opted against this.

Now im thinking of a fully worked 1800 bored to max (2.1ltr??), Big cam (43/80??), ported shaved flowed head, 10:1 comp, imported dizzy, rodeo/piazza injection, delco efi, dyno tuned etc etc

This engine is want i really want but i dont know if it will develop the desired horsepower ( ~ 120 rwhp or more?). Also will this car be as fast as my V8 in a gemini wagon? Or is a coupe/sedan a better option because of weight?
The car will have drag orientated suspension ie (90/10 front shocks. 70/30 rear) LSD, and big tyres.

What are the biggest engine hp figures people have heard of from these engines in NA(ie isuzu SOHC), and also i have heard of 'sams performance' producing 14.5 sec time slips with a engine running standard carby? does anyone know of this car.

One last thing does anyone know any good engine builders in perth experienced with geminis.
cheers
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

quick gramma change
Simon
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

man....sams performance.he has a coupe running a 2 litre...its quickest pass is a 12.6....so yeah u can get these motors running quick....they will build a 1800....bore it to a 2L..stroke it using a mazda 2L crank..and depending on carbies...produce anywhere from 130 to 160hp+....as far as times...a few numbers punched in and i get a roughly estimated 14 second with 140hp at the flywheel...so 120 rwhp is looking at round the same..hope this helps a bit
Simon
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

making 145 at the fly with a 2ltr, single weber.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

making 130hp at the fly....

stock....

Smile <--- one happy bastard

but then there is the wagon..

making an estimated 10hp at the wheels lol
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Comments 4 engine big hp/ET's Reply with quote

A while back (maybe 8-12 months), i read about a Gem Van/Wagon that i think was built by Gemmi-spares. From memory it ran a 9 sec 1/4. But what was really interesting was the fact that he retained the SOHC engine!!! I'm in the mood to go digging around for the mag, so i may post a summary of his mods once it's found - i have a funny feeling that it was ZOOM! magazine (I have piles of the bloody things to sift through). Something interesting i came across in the latest 'Fast Fours', was the fastest 'Race Four - RWD' times.... Sitting in 10th place is a Gem with an 1800 that runs a 9.74 1/4 @ 145mph - This sounds to me like the Gem i have read about. So it must still be alive and kicking (or is that alive & screaming?).
I know it's a little way out of your KW/quarter mile goal, but it's a little trivia to let you know that these engines can be made to get up and go. Most friends and aquaintances i have with Gems are running in the 14 - 15sec zone, so it is pretty do-able and only needs a minimal budget when compared to most other cars.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

hey brisko i have heard of a 1.8 punching out 180rwhp. if your in perth go see graham at southside engine centre and he will tell you wat you need.

i asked and he said get a 2L he bores it to punch out 2.3L and then a custom grind it will move.

oh yeah your not the guys from port kennedy with the V8 gem ute and wagon are you?
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zoom = turbo Reply with quote

zoom is a mag that has all turbo cars...n e car will do a nice quarter with a turbo...i think the guy said he wanted NA engine ?
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

i was tossing up ideas about all kinds of things from a 13b turbo -illegal in nsw as i found out Sad-, a nissan s13 sr20det, a nissan s13 ca18det and a nissan fj20 turbo but after all that i'm probably gonna go for the 2L turbo piazza motor. with a few simple mods i can run it mid 11's and with some more in-depth work i can probably knock a second or more off that - has been done. i think if you want a naturally aspirated car go the 1800, maybe put rodeo heads on it, a bigger exhaust and perhaps even bore it out to 2L. just a thought but it will get it going great - should suit what you're trying to do.
cheers
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Why g180? Reply with quote

I'm confused as to why alot of people say to get an g180 and bore it out to 2l. Does everyone realise that a bored-to-2l g180 has the exact same dimensions as a g200(ie. they have the same stroke)? Why not just go the g200? I've read several articles stating that the g200 has a better chain tensioner, oil pump etc. than the g161 and g200.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. If like most of you say 14-15sec times are possible with about 120rwhp then that is what ill go for. But one last thing will a wagon be slower? Im not really into stereos, and i figure ill have alloys so will these probaly make the difference between a coupe/sedan and wagon?
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why g180? Reply with quote

2.0 litres are harder to find, and cost more than the 1800's.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rephase; Decent hp(kw)/ ok ET's Reply with quote

the wagon is heavier but for some unknown reason are more stable?
there use to be a yellow TD wagon at ravenswood i think his name was john and he ran that quite often
Ember
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious advice 4 engine big hp/ET's Reply with quote

I have TG gem with a worked 1800 SOHC, exhaust twin webers...it gets about 90 rwkw. I've done about 5 runs at calder and the best i could do was a 15.5...but i think i could probably do a few 10ths better if i took air filters off, changed gears a bit earlier and slicks.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Serious advice 4 engine big hp/ET's Reply with quote

Your in Perth,

Go and see Per4mance, Grant Bosjac?? Welshpool, not sure spelling, anyway he did me a GT25 and awsome SS pipe work and Intercooler, for a good price, he and his mates know all about Turbos, and could you get into a deal that will run about high 12's-13's,

Well worth a chat about your plans they have a lot of expereiance, and very good quaity work.

Cheers
Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: