HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

constipated engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joee joe joe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: constipated engine Reply with quote

my engine doesnt turn over properly when you try and start it. it is a 2l with a 1600 head. is it the compression or is the srartermotor rooted?
thanks
tim
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

I had the same problem...

I bought a new battery which i probly shouldnt of and it still did it...

So what i did is bought a second hand starter motor, took the old one out and when it was out, I noticed the battery cable from the starter motor was on by about 5 or 6 strands. Went to local motormate and bought some new cable...replaced starter motor and bobs your auntie, Starts like a dream.

Cheers
Hones
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

It may need to go to "engine obedience" lessons. check the yellow pages.....
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

It could also be way too advanced. this can result in hesitation that is mistaken for low battery charge.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

If your battery is fine, it could be a few things, crook starter, bad earth from chassis to block, battery terminals, cable going from battery to starter motor, too much ignition timing.

I would first check your cables, make sure the connections are clean and tight. Once running, check timing.

Ben Wight
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

and if the starter turns your engine lots and lots of times but it takes forever to kick.... both with or without the accelerator down/pumping??

and its EFI?? i mean its never been an easy starter but it used to kick in like 2 revolutions but now it takes 8 or more
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: constipated engine Reply with quote

You wont need to touch the accelerator whilst cranking, it wont make any difference unless the engine is flooded, which will be very rare with properly tuned efi.

You might have an electrical problem with your computer or ignition. Maybe the coil is not getting enough volts whilst starter motor is cranking and sapping all the volts.

Does it still run as it should? If not, check things like dizzy, plugs, leads.

Check connection to computer, make sure it is clean and tight.

check all wiring around engine and loom, make sure no loose connections.

Maybe you have fuel pressure issues, maybe blocked filter or snuffed pump. Maybe even dirty injectors.

I would first take it to a good auto electricain/workshop if you cant shine any light on the trouble. Let them sort it out.

There are a few checks you can do, pull an injector and check it pulses whilst cranking, see if fuel comes out if you can. Put a spark plug light thingy on one of the plugs to see if it is sparking whilst cranking, things like that. You have to be systematical.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: