HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cleaning those engine parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynabytes
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

Hi ppls, just a quickie ;p ... i've seen in some gemini's a lot of this site that the engines are sparkling clean, some engines are stock standard G160 but look like they've just rolled of the factory floor, as a gemini enthusiast I am doing my tf gem up at the moment (picking out a colour for the painters tommorow) and I want to know how it is done, that is the nice clean parts in the engine... what would be the best way to get the rocker cover chromed?
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

chrome dipped or you can buy them already chromed.
dynabytes
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

Where would I buy it already chromed, what sort of business would chrome one already..
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

any auto shop, id be guessin, caus thats where i saw mine.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

but more to the point of his question...

how do you clean up the engine bay...
i know they generally dont lile being hosed with water, "it gets into shit and fucks it" quote from an NRMA dude when my mates car died
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

BAHAHA that quote made me piss myself LOL!
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

If you insist on using the old degreaser and hose trick, (spray degreaser on all engine parts, let sit for a few minutes depending on strength, then simply hose off). Just make sure you put a plastic bag over your dizzy and carby to stop any water from wreaking havoc. And be careful with getting too much of it on your paint.
Just about any bumper place can rechrome anything metal, or even powdercoat it to your liking for that matter.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning those engine parts Reply with quote

like they said, cover the carb, coil, dizzy and spray with degreaser. some cheap ones hurt the paint - alkalinity. Get urself a scrubbing brush and get dirty. might need to do it 3 or 4 times to get it decent. take all the bits like ur relay box, blower cover etc etc of once u've finished. dry everything.

rub down all the stuff u've removed with 320 paper, then 600 wet. good ol flat black spray can will makem look decent. put them back with nice zinc coated screws from the hardware store and it will look better. new set of leads or a wipe with petrol on ur old ones. (one at a time). pull the exhaust manifold off, get it sand blasted for like 5 bucks and then hit it with vht. replace the gasket obviously.

just use common sense. whatever looks shitty, fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: