HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

WHAT WILL PORTING DO FOR ME?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: WHAT WILL PORTING DO FOR ME? Reply with quote

if i bore a ca18det from 1.8L to 2L, what will having it ported do for me? will it give me much more hp? how much does it cost?

cheers

p.s. if anyone has any other advice on things to get more performance from this engine then feel free to share
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: CA18DET... Reply with quote

Porting normally increases the hp of an engine at higher revs. Being a turbo, this would give you a good improvement. Costs for this can vary between $150 - $700 depending on workshop and extent of the job carried out. The boring from 1.8L to 2L is not normally condoned in these engines, normally a Jun or HKS stroker kit is preferred, but cost more than most people earn in 6 months. Though the extra cubes will increase bottom end torque. Apparently modified cams for the CA18DET are a little hard to get hold of on the aftermarket, so you may want to look at getting the originals reground if you have trouble finding any. The standard turbo (T25 from memory) fitted is a reasonable unit, but you would benefit more from replacing it with a T28 roller bearing item from a S14 or S15 Silvia. The fuel system eg. injectors & pump may have to be upgraded depending on hp goal.
Overall the CA18 has a fairly good bottom end with a stud girdle for the main bearing caps and oil squirters underneath the pistons for increased lubrication and cooling. The SR20 has a better aftermarket following, so you may want to think about selling or trading up. But the CA is still good for around 250FWHP with standard internals before you have to modify them.
That's all i can think of for now, hope it was a little helpful.
Jasyn...
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET... Reply with quote

very helpful man. thanks a bunch. the ca18det i'm getting is actually rwd so that would be 250 rwdhp which is almost exactly what i'm looking for. you're a true champ. if you think of anything else or wanna discuss any of the plans that i have to see what you think. email me at
quartermile_@hotmail.com
cheers
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET... Reply with quote

he was referring to 'Flywheel' horsepower, not frontwheel drive horsepower, take 20-30% off for horses at the rear wheels
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CA18DET... Reply with quote

oh sorry, thought he meant F-ront W-heel hp because i know that there are some fwd versions of this engine. it's cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: