HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Polishing Camira's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

Ok b4 you guys bag me for puttin this post up, i just wanna ask if it's even possible to polish alloy camiras to Chrome?? cuz i had a quick go today with paint thinners, then with autosol, and NOTHING, SHIT ALL, all it did was clean em up a bit more, but nothing near chrome. So i just wanna know if it is possible to get em chrome, and if so, How the hell do you guys do it?? Do i need one of those polishin drill bits or something?? cuz they are like 40bux, might aswell take em to a pro and get em polished for 20bux a rim.
cheers guys
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

whats a bux???????
dont really bother doin camira rims, but what type are they, theres two types of crumira rims.
one will polish, one will not.
either that or your not trying hard enough.
try steel wool and brasso.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

Well they are the alloy ones with like a cross, think the SLE camira rims. Where do i get brasso from?? and what is it??
cheers
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

Its a product thats probably going to be a little more useful for polishing than paint thinners...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

You'll need a bit more effort with the tools you're using. The factory rims are painted and clear coated, so all you're doing at the moment is polishing the paint! That has to be stripped off before you can start polishing the alloy. For $20 a rim, it's a bargain!!

Yonnee.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

I bought the whole set of camiras for $80 with tyres. I think thats a bargain, hehehe. So Yonnee how do you recomend i take the clear coat off these wheels?? Angle Grinder?? lol, nah just kiddin, what about fine sand paper? Paint stripper?? anything that will take that clear coat off?? I've seen so many guys with polished camira, and i mean like Chrome, and i wanna get that on my wheels. Anyway any help will be greatly appreciated, so far i've tried sanding it down a bit, autosol, and tomorrow shall be trying a polishin wheel.
cheers
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Polishing Camira's Reply with quote

The pro's use a number of polishing buffs on a big bench grinder, the cost of materials alone would be more than paying them to do it. I had my VH SL/E rims done five years ago and they still look magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: