HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

head gasket warped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
live
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: head gasket warped Reply with quote

hey. i took the head off my gem and i measured it for warpage. in the repair manual it says the limit is 0.2mm. but i got a new head gasket and on the back it says the head shouldnt be more than 0.05mm off flat. which one is it? (standard 160 block with standard iron heads)
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: head warped Reply with quote

if its warped to either of those spcs get it shaved. You could get away with just slapping up back on and driving it, but it may lead to more problems down the track. Do it properly the first time, get it shaved, and up compression at the same time. Gem heads are alloy mate, another reason why you should get it shaved, they have a tendancy to warp.
cheers.......Tim
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: head warped Reply with quote

They only have a tendency to warp when overheating occurs.
Keep your cooling system in top nick , and there'll be no problems.

the proper way to do it, is have the head "straightened", cos the cam tunnel will propbably not be true either. HAve you checked it?
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

Alan, could you explain what is involved in head straightening??
cheers....TIm
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

If you think about it, when a head warps the top AND the bottom surfaces are out of true. Straightening involves the application of heat to the whole head, and somehow "pushing" it back to where it was. It is risky, and can not be guaranteed to work. IF it goes wrong I think it stuffs up the head. A straighten job will cost upwards of $80 I think.
live
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: head warped Reply with quote

thanks mate. the reason i was checking was because id blown the head gasket and so there was a possibility that it had warped. i checked it within 0.2mm and it was fine, but its just such a heavy bastard i wanted to know if i had to do it again for 0.05mm
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

i see, interesting
how do you check if the cam tunnel is warped also?
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

by how do you do it, i mean how can it be done at home, without the use of a dial guage which i dont have.
cheers
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

The same way you check the block face - a straight steel ruler, or such like. Man, you really need to buy a Gregory's - they tell about this stuff
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: head straightening Reply with quote

i have a gregorys, i noticed they mentioned block surfaces, didnt see anything on journels. ill have another look
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: