HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Centrifugal Advance Weights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Centrifugal Advance Weights Reply with quote

yeah...

...so i in the bottom of the dizzy, you've got the wieghts that fly outwards as the shaft spins quicker and revs increase. these weights then move a plate on the bottom that advances the top half of the shaft ??

my question is, how free should this bottom plate be able to move. mine feels very gummy, but the weights still move very freely. the return springs still pull the bottom plate back when it moves, but it feels very stiff... and how the hell do i pull the plate and weights out to clean them !!! the whole system seems to be stuck together... ??? hmmm
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Centrifugal Advance Weights Reply with quote

if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Centrifugal Advance Weights Reply with quote

Here is a basic strip down off the top of my head. You take the rotor off the shaft, underneath there is a rubber round plug. Pull out the plug and you will find a small screw.

Take off the points from the breaker plate (this is the plate that spins), undo the two or so scres in and around the body of the dizzy, and the braker plate will slide up and out.

There are 4 black metal clips that hold the plate together, pry these off and the outer ring will come off and all the ball bearings will drop out. Clean the whole thing in petrol, pack with grease, push all the ball bearings back in their groove (the grease will hold them in) and then put the outer ring back on with the 4 clips. The plate should now rotate nice and smoothly.

You can now undo the screw in the middle of the shaft and pull the the springs off the advance weights, so that the part of the shaft off that has the lobes and holds the weights will slide up and off. Pull it all apart, wash in petrol, reassemble with grease where necesarry. Wash rest of dizzy, and then reasemble whole thing.

Put points back in, set gap, put dizzy back in, set timing, turn boost back up, do a burnout, and go racing.

Cheers!
Ben Wight
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Centrifugal Advance Weights Reply with quote

yeah...

nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: