HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Opinions please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Opinions please! Reply with quote

In my Gem I have a 1800, bored 30 thou, extensive head porting, 35/75 cam, and extractors with 2" exhaust. At the moment I am running a 350 Holley. On take off it is dumping too much fuel and floods itself, and blows heaps of black smoke. So its basically just wasting it all and not using it. I want to change to a Webber but I'm not sure what size to get. I want as much power as I can get(obviously) but still not too big for the engine. I was thinking a 38mm or a 32/36?? Its always been my understanding that 32/36 are reasonably gutless so I wanted to go a bit bigger, but not sure. Can someone help me please??
turbs
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

a 38dgms or 40dfav will be good but there hard to get hold of. A 34adm of a falcon will also work well. Have you had the holley properly tuned? once you get them running right they run well, would try and stick with that.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

How about you get the holley tuned? Either your jets, accelerator pump, squirters or air bleeds are too big causing flat spots/ overfuelling. Ill start a riot here, but from cars i have built and cars i have tuned at my work, i am yet to see anything beat a 350 holley on a gemini for outright throttle response and power except for twin downdraught 44mm idfs or bigger. You certainly wont find better in a single carb (32/36 will be too small, 34 adm only built to rev to 5000rpm etc), and twin sidedraughts actually lose power on a 350 holley with the shitty lynx s bend inlet manifold.
Again, I stress, im not looking to start an argument, just giving my advice.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

Amy, maybe see Iain at Carbtech. He'd sort you out pretty quick
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

i would go for a 40mm or a 42m side draft
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: mark Reply with quote

do u do the brake up grades?? how much were they and what calapers and rotors do u use
cheers GENE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

trying to get the edge on me huh!
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: mark Reply with quote

Youve asked me all this before gene.
They use commodore calipers front and rear, special discs on the front and commodore discs on the rear. Price starts at $350 for either and includes new discs, new pads, rebuilt calipers, new handbrake cable (rear obviously) etc etc.
Exact specs of setup are
1. front - 22mm thick rotor, 256mm diameter. with a large single piston caliper.
2. rear - solid 10mm rotor with large single piston caliper with internal handbrake shoes.
These setups maintain the standard gemini stud pattern and wheel track. Have working examples that you can inspect if desired. Live in redcliffe, 1/2 north of brisbane cbd. Call me on 0401 322 100 if keen.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

I know people swear by these things, but Ive worked invarious dyno shops for the last 5 years, and have several good carby reconditioners as mates, and the stupid 34mm adm webbers dont work well on geminis. The falcons they come off only rev to 5000 rpm, they flow alot of air down low, but not alot up to cos its not reqd for the car they were built for. That is opposite of what you want in a gemini. small motor , want not alot of fuel down low, revs high with a decent cam etc, wants a lot of air up top and these carbies arent capable of that. A 32/36 (180 holley) is much better suited to a gemini cos it has bigger secondaries....
Cmon ppl, think about it!
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

Hey Mark, I just read what you said about the 34 ADM and I disagree. Yes the butterfly of the 32/36 DGV is bigger, but the choke is smaller than that of a ADM. Overall, the ADM has a bigger cross sectional area for both chokes and butterflies when at WOT. So if tuned to deliver correct a/f ratio at given airflow, there should not be any probs.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

The best and easiest thing you can do for power and drivability is get your holley tuned. It sounds like your accelerator pump cam is too big, and maybe mains too big as well. Instead of spending hundreds fitting a weber and potentially having the same problems, why not get your current holley( which is bigger meaning more hp potential) tuned to suit your engine?

Ben Wight
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: mark Reply with quote

i know but im after them now hehehe, sorry.
any ways. u said price starts at $350... so if i were to:
-disks front. price??
_disks alround. price??
thanx heaps GENE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

i thought the 32/36 or is it 34/36 went good on a gemini, im thinkin of 2L carb here though so what is that 32/36.well i jus thought they went pretty good compared to the standard nikki carb
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions please! Reply with quote

the weber 32/36 DGV is fitted to 1800 and 2 litre Ford engines. They work great on a gem engine, but there are bigger carbs around that flow more air, thus they have the ability to increase horsepower.

The standard niki carb is pretty bad for throttle response and max power, but its pretty good for economy.

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 2c... Reply with quote

The 32/36 was used on 2lt Ford four cylinders, so I would have said they were a pretty good choice for an 1800, even worked. Besides, the aftermarket industry has plenty of options for fitting these carbys onto just about anything. I even found out today they do an adapter for 32/36 onto small holden 6 cyl. Go figure.
If you can get it tuned down for the Gem, parts are a lot easier to get for a holley.

Hope this helps.
Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: