HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

SECOND BATTERY.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: SECOND BATTERY. Reply with quote

greetigns people,

due to my large stereo i am running a second battey in the boot. i need to charge it. (the 2nd battery is running my neons and are all seperalty switched).

i need to charge it from my alternator. to do this dont i just run a cable from the positive side of the alternator and then to the positive battery terminal in the boot???

i am doing it tonight so any replies woudl be great.

thank.

Rob- DaGemi.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SECOND BATTERY. Reply with quote

nah dont do it

i cant remember why but this dosn't work

u will need to get a second battery wiring kit from jaycar or something similar... like i said cant remember why but i thort id just tell you no so u dont blow anything up
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SECOND BATTERY. Reply with quote

Simply wire your two batteries in parallel, assuming they are both in the boot. If not, then you can do what you planned with a cable coming from the positive terminal on your original battery to the second battery. Or from the alternator directly, it wont make any difference, they are part of the same circuit.

I dont see why this wouldn't work. Its no different to having one huge 12V battery.

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: SECOND BATTERY. Reply with quote

This is alright if you don't mind flattening both batteries at once, It'll just take longer. A 4WD dual battery setup has a battery isolator that switches from one battery to the other for charging and usage and therefore will keep your starting battery from going flat when you've got your stereo cranking.

Yonnee.
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: SECOND BATTERY. hmmmm.. Reply with quote

ok, everyone, thanx for replying but now i am really confused. look at the 3 different responses i got...

ok, well. what i have set up now is...
ONE HUGE battery in the engine bay running:
-lights
-ignition
-all that gismo...
-Stereo (incl. head unit, amps etc).

all the second large battery is running is my 8 neons. which come on for about 7 hours per week. some times more if more cruising happen.

so, what do i do??? i dont like the idea of only charging 1 battery at a time because with the audio running while i am driving it pulls a fair current and that battery won't like it too much.

i guess my best option would be to just run another cable from teh alternator straight to the battery. i will ring some electricians and find out from a pro..

thanks for the replies. some good ideas. i will look into it.

Cheers,
-Rob-. DaGemi
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SECOND BATTERY. Reply with quote

You dont need a second battery all you need is a better alternator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: