HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine Weight's???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Im looking at the best engine to put in my TE Gem. I dont want an engine thats to heavy does anyone know the weight of the standard G161?

im thinking of going for one of thease engine upgrades...

Isuzu G200 (2L) (aka rodeo engine)

Isuzu G200W (2L) (aka impot twin cam)

Isuzu 4ZC1 (2L) (aka piazza turbo)

Isuzu 4ZE1 (2.6l) (aka rodeo engine)

Holden V6 (3.0L) (aka VN Commodore V6)

What are peoples oppinions of thease engines what are their weight factors?

I dont really want to increase the weight to much in the car. Maybe best would be in that case to got for a 13B turbo cos they are light weight.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

A rover V8 (from 3.5 to 4.4 litres) is a great conversion, they fit nice and weigh less than the original 1600. All alloy except things like crank, cam, and rods.

Ben Wight
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

i spose it really all depends on how much cash you have...
imagine that but, slapping in a V8 that weighs less!!
oooh baby!!
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

Hey Ben,

Would you happen to have any info on the engine costs estimated power etc? Where could I get one from? Have you seen one in a gem before?

Cheers

Simon
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

Rover V8's are pretty cheap, you can usually pick up a complete 3.5 litre engine for $500.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

I'm putting one in a gem now, My dad has rovers which is why I have some engines laying around. Probably $500 will buy you a runner. Check the trading post.

Standar power output is probably around 150hp, but if you went to the trouble of installing one, why keep it standard? A engine building company claims they can get 370hp out of them reliably, and thats NA. Dad has a turboed one in his rover.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

How can a V8 weight less than a small 4 pot 1600? I find that hard to belive - what is the weight in kgs then?
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

Firstly the volume of metal in a 4 cylinder isn't that much less than a V8 (think about the shape) and secondly, the rover motor has an alloy block whereas the gemini block is made of (heavy) cast iron.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

I have thought about the shape and I dont know where you are getting this idea from.
I'll just forget about the extra head, the extra cylinder block, and the other 4 pistons, and rods, and the crank being more solid, etc.....
So the question was, how much doesa Rover v8 weigh? No takers by the looks of it..... I doubt very much its less than a g161.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

bare Rover v8 motor plus mainfold = 150kgs. Hmmmm pretty close...amazing....
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Weight's??? Reply with quote

Would it be wrong of me to say that I told you so? They are amazingly compact motors and the cranks aren't THAT much heavier than gemini cranks (no actually measurements, just from lifting them.). The vast majority of the mass of a gemini engine is the block and the rover one weighs SFA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: