HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

new carby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: new carby Reply with quote

hey guys and girls

ive decided on fitting a new carb to the gem, and after doing a search and reding a few articles ive decided on the 34adm weber off of the 4.1 falcons, as they are very cheap, and appear to be very abundant in the quokka, anyways, i was just wondering for some more opinions on them and any advice you have on fitting, i have got the basics covered, (like adapter plate and filter etc), just may need a bit of help with the different connections that i need to hook up (eg the vacuum controlled primary on the carby and such), and yeah theres not too much in the searc as i already tried that,
yeah just wondering what you all thought, btw its going on a g200, with extractors and a 2 1/4 exhaust, aswell as a fairly lmpy cam (stage four grind if i recall correctly) so yeah any help would be appreciated, or suggestions on diff carbs mabye, but keep in mind im not looking to spend heaps, and these carbs can be picked up for $30-$40
cheers all and sorry bout the long post
wazza
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

ps... missed this bit out, does this carb (the 34 adm) use the same adapter plate as the 32/36?? oh and were these carbs they same from xc onwards, if not which would be the better?
motoboy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

hey inm in the same boat, ive been wanting and searching for a bigger carby for less n ive found that a few people recommend putting a 2L cortina carby (get bigger jets n etc) n slap that on the gemini , im goin to do that after rego n they say its like a webber carby but shit loads cheaper.
Winter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

I personally would use the Weber 32\36 off a two litre cortina. I don't know about your location but here in the ACT I can pick one up from a wrecker for about $50. There are redline adaptor plates for them, these cost around $15 or so from memory. The Ramflo airfilter to suit is around $40. These are more than sufficient for most motors, as I've got one running on a 1600 stroked and bored with a stage 3 cam. They have quite a nice induction note too. As for the 4.1 carby, I would suspect that that might come under the heading of too large a carby for the motor. HTH Cheers Smile
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: they ARE webers Reply with quote

as i said, they are both webers...34ADM off a falcon, 32/36 dgav/dgv off the cortina. if you go the 34 adm, make sure you re-jet the fucking thing, as mine is on a 1600, and will not run below 2500 rpm [i use gas tho, so who cares bout ulp?]...as for the lines, hook up the two vacuum pipes from below the adaptor plate to the pcv on the rocker[the little one] and to the carby respectivly. when you get the adm, make sure to get all the associated piping and hoses, as that will save a lot of time. hook the vacuum advance and the vacuum idle controller [i think]to the same line[y pipe connector], and hook up to the other vac pipe below the adaptor plate. then just fill in the gaps, or plug em.
right, as for the adptor plate, the 32/36 one fits, but you need either falcon carby manifold studs or to make some studs, as the ones supplied are about 10mm too short, and will not work. fit it al together, rig up a throttle cable, and "bobs yer muvvas bruvva".
rob.
sooty
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

A friend of mine put one of those falcon webbers on his toyota t-18. 1800 twin cam and it was perfect. great to drive good on fuel.
syko_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

no the XE - XF falcon carby is ideal when rejetted for the a 2L gemi motor with a cam and extractors.... i am looking at doing this myself also.
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: they ARE webers Reply with quote

cheers for that rob, yeah i was thinking i may have to re-jet the thing as its for an engine twice the size after all, but yeah, would you have any idea on prices of jets, or the size i would need, cos id like to find out how much im up for before i get into it
and yeah ill make sure to find all teh fittings i migth need when (if) i end up getting one, and yeah ive decided to put it back a couple of weeks, cos im off to broome next week, and nee dthe cash for that
anyway cheers, for your info
wazza
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

cheers for that, i thought that migth be the case from some old posts i found in the search
but yeah any idea on jet sizes you'd need?
cheers wazza
Wazza
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

hey thats good news,
what kinda mileage was he getting though
currently i can get about 11-12km/L which i think is pretty good, and yeah i do a good 450-500 k's per week,
so yeah do ya reckon it would improve the economy
cheers wazza
sooty
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: new carby Reply with quote

I went from sydney to surfers with him and we averaged 38 mpg whatever that works out to. he didn't need to re-jet it.
I was so impressed I put one on a HQ 202 with a bit of a cam and it went much better. Again no re-jetting. With the hq I was getting 28-30 mpg on trips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: