HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

headlight bulbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

i just bought new ultra white/bluish headlight bulbs for my tg, they're H4 90/100w, will they fit ....the guy in the shop said they would but i'd like to double check here first
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

They're H4's, they'll fit!
Only caution though, Gemini headlight wiring is pretty shitful. 90/100's will draw alot more current than the switch was designed to carry. Just the low beams will pull 15amps! Have a look in the workshop at the headlight wiring upgrade. Between Adam's tip and my comments, you should be able to have "bright" trouble free lights for years to come.

Yonnee.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

G'day,
That's pretty weird mate.... I bought the same light bulbs today.... I too did not check if they would fit before I bought them.... I have a TE, and I don't know what your gemi is like, but on mine the whole glass enclosure is one peice and the light bulb is not seperate... is there anything I can do about this? Do other gemini's lights that have seperate light bulbs fit into TE's?

Robbo
Dracko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

hehe

i actually asked the same question before

just look back a bit to

Attn bluepanno : TD Headlights

and a little further back to

TD Headlights (May 20)

All basically the same

bluepanno suggests cutting the old globe out and salasticing the new one in.

I'm going to do that shortly, currrent globes are shit, cant see crap at night,

Doing this as i like the look of the current headlights and dont want to go to the 7" round conversion headlights (look a bit dodgy on a TD)

Well thats my two cents

Will
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

have a look in the workshop section, all gems have a sealed beam (whole glass enclosure) unless they have been modified, there was a post a few days ago on modifying td lights to have replaceable bulbs, use the search function
cheers
kizza
wharfie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

all gems dont have a sealed beam, TGs dont for a start
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

And you can get H4 halogen replacments for TX style headlights.

As for TD your Stuck, TE there is a H4 conversion as i have one H4 halogen TE headlight(Passenger Side) and am currently looking for a driver side to partner it.

I think someone said you use Rodeo i think.
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

woops my bad,
ive only seen td,tc,te,tf so i guessed i jumped to conclusion
kizza
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: HEADLIGHTS!! Reply with quote

OK. Let's straighten some things out.
TX & TC have 7" round, sealed beam lights. Aftermarket replacements are available to upgrade to H4 "semi-sealed" lights.
TE, TF except SL/X, and base model TG's have 200 X 142mm rectangular sealed beam lights. Aftermarket replacements are also available to upgrade these models to H4 semi-sealed.
TF SL/X & TG have H4 semi-sealed lights already.
TD's have NO aftermarket replacements available. (see earlier posts for modification)

Hope this helps.
Yonnee.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: HEADLIGHTS!! Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that... if the TE has an aftermarket semi-sealed upgrade option available, where the hell would I get these from, and how much would it set me back?

I found the stuff about braking out the old lights and siliconing in the bulb, thinking about that.

Thanks for any help

Robbo
Winter

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

As far as the TE and TF go, it is also possible to use the H4 headlights from an 82 honda civic. These are the same physical size as the factory item, only H4. For everything else, the previous posts are a goldmine. Cheers Smile
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: headlight bulbs Reply with quote

ok thanks guys, my gemi is a tg, so the h4's should be fine and they're halogen bulbs aswell!
thanks
Adrian
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HEADLIGHTS!! Options... Reply with quote

The 200 x 142mm headlights are more common than you think. Hella, Narva, Hansa, Kioto all have H4 conversion kits available. Take a tape measure with you to the wreckers. Most early stuff will still have sealed beam, but some will have already been converted. Take also a couple of screwdrivers, both blade and phillips, this will get most grilles and lights out.
Costs...... depends on the wrecker. New will set you back about $40 per side for the light assembly, and between $7 and $70 for globes, depending on style of globe. (those new "rainbow" globes aren't cheap) Complete kits are available in Hella or Narva between $120 & $180 and come with globes.

I wouldn't recommend trying to modify the sealed beams that you have, because unlike the TD lights the 7" round and the 200 x 142mm rectangular lights are completely glass, including the back half. The TD lights are autually steel which makes them easier to cut/drill/file.

If it were mine, (and I'm doing this at the moment to my Rodeo work-hack) get the basic assemblies from the wreckers, upgrade the wiring as in the workshop, and get new globes from autObarn (or other auto joint) up to 90/130w. You'll turn night into day! Surprised)

Cheers, Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: