HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

turbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: turbo Reply with quote

is it possible to run a t28 or t4 garret ball bearing turbo off the stock 1584cc engine??? if i can get a turbo for 800 what else will i need and how much will it cost?
MeTeOrA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

dude you need a turbo manifold, there about 1000 bucks second hand, all the plumbing, compression changed and shit. looking about about 2000 on top of the turbo
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

1000 bucks second hand for a manifold.....ha, i dont think so.....you could get a custom manifold made up out of 440c fucking stainless for half that
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

yeah and if u know how to weld just buy the bass plate and the manderal bends and u coulf do it for like $200. iv seen about 4 sell in this forum for less than $300 in the past month
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

wat else do i need?
intercooler coz it's a big turbo the t28s r bigger than to4s (wrx) aren't they?\
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

i thought that you need the whole engine rebuilt and made stronger
i was told you could only run up to about 6psi before the engine it under too much presure
but mabey i was told wrong
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

pluming, intercooler, dumppie for turbo, umm dunno.... ask eggy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

yeah i need to reco the engine first and get copper gaskets
i'll try to get best value for buck hp NA first make it run well and strong and then go turbo
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

na and turbo are 2 compleatly different builds, u want high compresion forn NA and low for turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

i meant to just make the engine strong enough for the turbo compression coz of the boost but give me a bit of extra power b4 i do the turbo job
MeTeOrA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

thats all fucked up then 2 of my friends bought turbo manifolds for 900 and 1100 bucks. but they also had the turbo with it to
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

well fuck, theres a big difference between a manifold, and a manifold with a turbo as well
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

The purpose of an intercooler is to cool the air down. The efficiency of a t28 at the sort of boost you would be running on a stock motor ie. fuck all, you wont need one as the air will not be particularly hot.
If your going to rebuild your motor then put low compression pistons in and get the block o ringed, or you can do a dodgy job and sandwich a decompression plate between two head gaskets. This can be a bit of a safety measure as the head gasket will usually blow first before something more expensive in the motor goes (given the the gaskets have 4 different sides they can fail on) but then again if you do a decent job at building your motor you shouldn’t have to worry about little things like melting pistons.
Then it just depends if you want to run draw through or blow through set up. A carby setup will be a lot cheaper than efi as you don’t need a computer and all the other crap but efi will be much nicer to drive and once its tuned your laughing. Carby draw through will probably be cheaper to set up because you dont need rising rate fuel regulators, higher pressure fuel pumps and a hat for the carby etc. But blow through will give you better throttle response and the option to run an intercooler, more boost and a blow off valve if thats what you want to do.
Will probably want to recurve your dissy as well so the timing doesn’t advance too far leading to detonation, but if your only going to run low boost ie 7psi with a compression ratio of around 8:1 you should be able to get away with it. Then its just a matter of taking to your sump to install an oil return line, connecting up the oil lines, water lines if the turbos water cooled and connect up the exhaust. Its pretty easy, just a matter of mucking about to get all the right parts.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: turbo Reply with quote

WRX's are TD04's and TD05's. A TD04 is smaller than a T28 and a TD05 is about the same size.
For EFI trbo you need, EFI, computer, exh manifold, HV fuel pump, pressure reg, Dump pipe, Oil feed/return lines, low comp, etc, etc.Cant remember but there is more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: