HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

brown td gem in mod gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

just wondering if the owner/s chris/matt? ....post on the forum? i'd like to know more about the engine build up. i remember someone talking about that car, when it was a trade-in at a mazda dealer or something? ....by the way sick little unit! tuff. love the slx trim, ride height, and what looks like a tidy setup for the boost maker....overall i give it a yummy out of ten.
cheers, greg
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

yeah, a nice tidy little sleeper. A real surprise packet i bet. I'd love to see people s faces when he boosts them off the line.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

The car is mine (matt) and it absolutely flies!

For pics cut the following address and paste it into your address bar, then hit go....

http://system.unicentral.net.au/~fluid/

Lined the car up against a 250kw Gen 3 Maloo ute the other night and it kicked it's arse....Ended up backing off to turn into a street and the guy was so pissed he flew past me at about 170 kp/h! (And yes, he was trying).

The engine was built by myself (i'm a mechanic) and from what I can tell it is an original TD SL/E....Neen a new LH/S mirror and I can't find one anywhere! All the other Gems have the tin mirrors! So if anyone has the mirror i'm after (look at the brown TD Gem in the modified section on this site) give me a bell.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

Greg J....

What in particular would you like to know about the engine build up? I'd be only too happy to answer your questions....
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

hey matt, whereabouts are you from?
could you possibly send me some info on your engine build? or is your blurb in the gallery about it? damn that's nice! good work!

greg.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: brown td gem in mod gallery Reply with quote

Hey Greg!

Did you see the photo's on my webspace? They show the components that went into the engine and the buildup stage by stage....

The engine is a G180 SOHC ISUZU unit that has been bored 20 thou over. Slotted into the bores are ACL Duralite pistons fitted with Hastings rings that have had the lip machined off the piston crowns to drop compression to a more suitable level. The whole engine has been balanced from front pulley to flywheel and Federal Mogul bearings are used all round. The head gasket is an ACL 'CopperHead item that is 1.0mm thick and was a pain in the arse to seal up! But it has no problem sealing the combustion pressures generated by the turbo once the problems were sorted out and being 1.0mm thick it helps to drop compression as copper dosen't compress....
The cylinder head is a g180 item due to the bigger combustion chamber fitted with larger valves out of an early g161 head and the cam is a 'Crane' turbo grind item with heavier outer valve springs.
The turbocharger is a Garrett AirResearch T03 item with ceramic compressor wheel that has been high flowed and fitted with a .40 A/R turbine housing, the wastegate is a 45mm Garrett external unit. Custom made (beautiful) headers feed and support the turbo.
The engine runs straight Impco gas in a draw through arrangement that works very well with no hesitation or flatspots whatsoever. The intake manifold is a Rodeo EFI item that has had all pollution gear removed and injector bosses welded over as well as having the throttle butterflies modified to both open together (quite a worthwhile modification!)
A brand new timing set and tensioner have been fitted as this is a week spot with the Isuzu engines....
A custom electronic ignition system has been fitted running a bosch ignitor fixed at 16 degrees advance.
Clutch is a heavy duty RPM unit.

I hope the above information is enough for you....Give us a buzz if you need to know more! BTW....I live in Melbourne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: