HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine and Compression Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Engine and Compression Q Reply with quote

Hey there..if anyone can help it would be so greatly appreciated..i had my motor worked on the other day...i fou8nd out that 3 of the cylinders have 110 compression while the fourth has 125...can anyone explain what this means...and how to fix the problem (what may be casuing it?)
Thanx heaps...Simon
RJM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Compression Q Reply with quote

Either worn / broken rings or faulty valves / valve seats.

Next time you do a compression test try pouring a small amount of clean engine oil in each cylinder and if the compression increases then its the rings (or even the bores) if not then the valves aren't sealing properly.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine and Compression Q Reply with quote

Thanks pretty shit compression, my new engine after running for 20 mins got all 4 cylenders at 155psi
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine and Compression Q Reply with quote

The minumum spec compression for a gem is 125 psi (860 kpa). Once you are at that level, its time for a reco. New rings usually produce approx 160 - 170 psi.

Run the engine at operating temp, and take off the oil filler plug. Is there blow by(smoke) coming out?
No - you need a re ring.
Yes - you need a rebore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: