HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Porting Sub box into cabin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Porting Sub box into cabin? Reply with quote

Hey i need a few ideas as to how i can get a decent port into the cabin of my gem as there isn't much room through the parcel shelf coz of the tank, any suggestions welcome. Also does anyone know if u can put a wagon tank on the boot floor of a gem and get a RWC still? obviously u would have to extend the fuel lines and filler neck but i dont think it would be that difficult.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Porting Sub box into cabin? Reply with quote

if you move a fuel tank, u gotta get an engineering certificate, and u will get a RWC for it if you have the certificate.
and onto your first question, i'm re-doing my boot at the moment, and i'm considering the same thing about putting a port into the parcel shelf. U could probably fit a small one in, i had a look into it, and there's a small hole about 10-15cm diameter rite in the middle of the parcel shelf, and thats where i'm puttin my port, and it's gonna go straight into my subbie box. with two 12inch kicker subs. But just remember, by puttin a port into the cabin, it might effect how bassy the sound really is. A boot is actually another inclosed box. And puttin a hole thru it, might defect the bass, not too sure, i'm gonna try it anyway, see how it goes, and i'll keep ya posted
cheers
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Porting Sub box into cabin? Reply with quote

i took the factory speakers (5 inch clarions) out of the parcel shelf and left were two nice holes so the speaker covers went back over and the sound from the sealed sub sounds quite tight but louder than if there were no ports.

Some 6x9's will go in when i find a well made parcel shelf or manage to make my own.. dunno how that will effect the bass as yet

the sealed box definatly sounds better with ports in the shelf than a vented box with no ports... tried both
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Porting Sub box into cabin? Reply with quote

what about a vented box with ports in the parcel shelf?? gonna see how it goes in my car, not too sure yet.
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porting Sub box into cabin? Reply with quote

dunno about that, remember what is coming thru the vents is the result of the incursion of the driver back into the box compressing the air somewhat and pushing it thru the ports...

Im not sure but i got a feeling it would sound quite boomy and not very clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: