HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Help with Amp's & Sub Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Help with Amp's & Sub Please Reply with quote

Head unit connects to Pioneer GM232 Amp via RCA inputs. No idea what the outputs of this amp are and any info would be appreciated. This amp powers 6x9's in parcel shelf.

Trying to add Kicker 652xi amp and sub but the way I've tried is to run splitters on the RCA leads, works something like a double adapter so both amps can be connected to the RCA outputs from the head unit. My question is - is there a better way to do this so that you can control the frequency that goes to each amp? as the Pioneer Amp has no controls except gain control and the 6x9's are still copping too much bass. HELP Please - just doesn't sound right.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: I'll try... Reply with quote

What's the head-unit? How many RCA's does it have? The number on the Pioneer amp seems to be a lower spec 2ch amp. Running 6x9's with subs will give a lot of bass. Check your bass & treble controls are set to zero and make sure the "loudness" is off.

Need some more info to help further.

Yonnee.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: I'll try... Reply with quote

had a simalare problem with mine, due to the pov pioneer shitty head units that only come with one set of RCA out puts, this is what i did and works exclent.
buy a small (30cm) rca lead, a fad controller (small box thingy with a dial on it screw it somewhere under the dash.)
the fader control splits the single rca into 2 with a fade control between them. then run 2 full length rca's to the 2 amps. u can turn the subs or 6x9s up or turn one of and one on etc..
GENE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: I'll try... Reply with quote

yep - cheers Yonnee and GENE. Yonnee, the head unit is a Pioneer, probably about 2 to 3 years old, and yeah as GENE says it's only got one RCA out. Power rating is 40x4 and sounds pretty good through the Pioneer amp - way too bassy with the kicker amp and sub.

I remember fitting a fader control years ago to VB commodore, didn't know they still made them - that sounds like my next move. It'll Have to wait till next week as I'm gunna be away for a few days again now. Thanks for the advice - again! BTW got a ported sub box from JB's - not bad for $150.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: I'll try... Reply with quote

No sweat. I'll get you a p/no. if ya want.
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: I'll try... Reply with quote

Please do!
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Done. Reply with quote

When you back?
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: 1 prob Reply with quote

thing is when u do that u halve the pre amp voltage output. therefore u get half the sound quality and hance power to ur amp. instead the way around this is to run an amp with line level input. This means u run ur front/rear speaker level input to the amp instead of RCA's. U'll get the full benefit of ur amp then and far better sound quality. As well as being able to use the fader controls like normal from ur head unit. Trust me from experience and its just common sense anyway when u think about it Smile.

Good luck
Mooch
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 prob Reply with quote

Mooch you do not get half the pre amp voltage output when u use rca splitters...this may have been the case with very early model head units that used say .5 volt preouts etc..

but todays head units and even most older ones use at least 2-6 volt preouts that have been tested to lose only around 0.2 - 0.3 volts when split which is not an audible loss in quality

splitting rca's is the easiest way to combat your problem and can be done up to 3 times without a noticable loss of quality

NeWaZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: