HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Extractors and Exhaust..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Extractors and Exhaust.. Reply with quote

I'm thinking about putting a set of extractors on my stocko 1600 to gain a bit of power. Would it be noticable ? I did a search and most people seem to say that a 2.5 pipe would benefit from extractors in giving a bit more power.

Now on my car I've just got a standard pipe through to a muffler with no resonator then to a 2.5 chrome tip. She is very very loud but only when I boot it which is a good thing. Would this setup benefit in a similar way to a 2.5 pipe or would it be worth getting the whole deal redone.
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Extractors and Exhaust.. Reply with quote

2.5 will be too big for a stock 1600. Look at getting a complete 2 inch exhaust (about $200) and extractors. It will make a difference. Just extractors with your current pipes should make a difference.
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Extractors and Exhaust.. Reply with quote

Extractors make a good deal of difference. 2" should be fine, but if you are going to get silly with the 1600 try 2 1/4", which is what I am running. Goes well and sounds sweet Smile
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Extractors and Exhaust.. Reply with quote

G'day,
I have a stock 1600 (other than a webber carby) and I just fitted some extractors about 3 weeks ago.

Yes, you will notice the difference.

I went for a 2" sports system, as 2.5" is too much. You also have the choice of a 4-into-1 or a 4-into-2-into-1 system. The former is meant to be better for top end, high performance engines running at high rpm, while the latter will give you a more noticable difference at the bottom end, while still helping a little up the top. I opted for the 4-into-2-into-1 system, but when I went to get it fitted they put on a 4-into-1 anyway. I lost a little power at the bottom end, but it really kicks in at around around 2500-3000 rpm (guesstimate, no tacho as yet), especially when the second throttle opens. It revvs a lot more freely, noticably. It is loud when you flog it, but cruising is fine. I don't have a resonator fitted, but they might be a good idea if you don't want to wake up your neighbours.

All up, it cost me $450 to get the extractors, and complete 2" system. Took the guy about an hour to fit it all too.

Robbo
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Extractors and Exhaust.. Reply with quote

Ive got a 2.25 and 4-2-1 extractors hooked up to mine. Ive got a stock 1.6 with a 32/36 webber. I reacon that a 2.5 is to big and a 2 is a bit to small and 2.25 is just right. I got the extractors from the wreckers for $75 and fitted them myself then drove it to the exhaurst place on just extractors and paid $192 for the 2.25 with a 3inch tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: