HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

bad mileage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: bad mileage Reply with quote

Thinking about a recent post, it got me to thinking just why the twins might give me bad economy (not that I've had a chance to drive it much yet).
I came down to the conclusion that at any given rpm, the twins will be breathing better than the nikki and therefore to maintain the correct mixture, more fuel is needed.
But say if they were to drop my economy in half (assuming I drive in the same manner) that means it's using twice as much fuel and if the mixture's correct, that means it's getting twice as much air (which I find a bit hard to believe)and should have neck-breaking power (which it doesn't). I'm thinking now it might be a 1/4 to 1/3 less economy based on the above mindless ramblings.
Any o(op)nions?
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: bad mileage Reply with quote

Someone once said, I think it might have Ben Wight actually, that twin carbies (I was running dellorto's at the time), should give the most power and best fuel economy out of any setup on a worked motor. If you have had extensive head work then twins are the way to go. Sounds like you've not got them tuned properly if your economy is up the shit. Ideally you should get them dyno'd by someone that knows what they are doing. I ended up pissing mine off and puting a 32/36dgv Webber on - for me it's heaps better and less hassles getting it tuned all the time etc.etc. Just my 2c...
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: bad mileage Reply with quote

Yeah I think it was Ben. That was just wild speculation on my part based on a previous post and what a mate said about his. His may have been badly tuned - who knows. I'm off to have mine tuned today and I'll let you guys know the economy figures in a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: