HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

VL TURBO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tha_mad_hatter
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: VL TURBO Reply with quote

ok people had a brainstorm last night ok and want to know how easy and smooth it would go ok.
vl turbos have some seriouse balls as we probly know allthought there prone to over-heat and are known for wraping themselfs around poles not to mention they are the origenal skylines engines. but would it be possible to transplant the vl turbos engine into a gemi? and add a intercooler to cool the thing.
i know u will need break upgrandes and chasis strengthenig but want to know how hard it would be to fit the engine and does anyone know of somone that has attempted this.
as they are pretty damed cheap and seem like a good engine transplant.

cheers....
nos
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

don't know how easy it would be. actually want to know how much these engines go for coz at the right price with advice on your q's i might too consider it
tha_mad_hatter
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

u can pick them up for like 450 onwards in the trading post like there cheap but yeah wanna know from the experts how easy
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Anything is possible mate, if you got a lot of money to spend, i know of a few gemini's with V6's in em. So It's quite possible. I don't know if they were out of a VL turbo though. Why don't you just get a G200, and wack a VL turbo onto that, might be easier on the wallet, and might get same sort of results, depending on how much work you do to the engine.
Anyways good luck, and remember anything is possible Wink
cheers
tha_mad_hatter
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

what is a G200 out of?
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Gemini
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Holden Rodeo, 2 litre. I don't know how good they are, but i'm puttin one in my car very soon, so i'll let ya know how it goes.
cheers
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

u mentioned an intercooler to cool the engine. I don't think an intercooler does this. It just cools the intake and exhaust air(especially), so that it expands at a quicker rate(therefore more power)after being compressed by the turbo and then expanded rapidly upon combustion. I don't think it has much to do with keeping the engine from overheating.As i'm not a turbo expert, correct me if i am wrong, please.
MARK
p.s yeah that engine swap would B tuff as.
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

yer u r right.
vl's over heat easily and are known for cracked heads. This is because of their shit radiator, (2 core and easily rust internaly). you would need to upgrade the gemi radiator for sure.
Jono
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Finnaly PSI, someone else who knows the reason for the over-heating issues associated with the RB30.
The radiator/cooling system design for the VL was unacceptable for a car that screams to be thrashed. It had a twin bypass radiator that entered and exited on the same side. The use of a baffle inside the radiator redirected the flow of water/coolant to the right path. But these baffles were made of a shit metal that would corrode over extended thrashings. Making the radiator about 70% effective,
this would then cause problems with warping the alloy head - a common affliction in the VL. Ever wondered why the RB20, RB25 & RB26 didn't suffer from cooling system woes ? It's a bit funny that virtually the same engine with a better set-up doesn't over-heat. They make a decent amount more power and have taken the time to install a cooling system that is more than adequate.
Jasyn...
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

I'm no turbo expert, but the basic function of an intercooler is too cool the inlet charge of air before it gets to the ports. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen molecules that are packed closer for a more efficient burn. When you pressurize the inlet charge with a turbo or super-charger, it causes friction between oxygen molecules. This results in heat, further spaced apart & less oxygen molecules. As this warmer air is passed through the intercooler, it is wiped along the inside of the core angainst the metal. the metal is cool thanks to the air being passed through it on the outside. As hot temps always travel to cool temps & not vice versa, this helps cool the charge before it re-enters the inlet manifold. Ever noticed how your car (N/A or forced) runs much better on a nice cool crisp night ? I know the turbo boys do.
Jasyn...
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Im no expert on how you get better performance out of colder air etc, but it sounds to me that the more oxygen in the air, the better combustion occurs. This sounds the same to having N.O.S. because of how well it helps the fuel burn. Nitrous is an oxidiser (not flamable), and so is oxygen. I wonder if you hooked a system up to your car, the same way as Nitrous, but feeding it pure oxygen, would it make a dramatic power increase like N.O.S? just a thought.
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Isn't that what a turbo is 4 ? I know it's not pure oxygen, but it's mostly oxygen. Not criticising your idea, but i think thats what a turbo is in the first place. Forcing of oxygen into the combustion chambers. I know you mentioned pure oxygen, but i doubt it would have more of an effect than Nos, if any at all over a turbo even. But that's how things are invented, thinking of ideas, just as you have done. good try anyhow.
MARK
psi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Thats very true Mark,
but when using a turbo, things are under alot of preasure due to boost. Also, turbo cars already have this advantage as you stated. If a non turbo car was to somehow, like a NOS system, flick a switch for a line to shoot pure oxygen into the throttle body / air induction when needed, this will give n/a cars a bit of an advantage with more Oxygen to help combustion but without the huge risk of detonation or as illegal as NOS.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VL TURBO Reply with quote

Can I weigh in here with 2c. I'm now turbo expert either but I do know a thing or two about chemistry and thermodynamics. Jasyn's right about the intercooler, the turbo compresses the air but heats it. You get an extra bonus cooling the air in an intercooler because cool air is denser so there's going to be more oxygen to burn the fuel. But the ratio of gases is still atmospheric ie about 21% O2. I think if you piped in pure O2 you'd seriously f#ck up your engine like in a major lean out. Pure O2 is going to cause an explosion (detonation) not a burn. O2 is so oxidising that some things burst into flame without an ignition source even at atmospheric concentrations.
###end of chemistry lesson###
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: