HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Master Cyclinder?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

Ok just wondering, if there is anyway to modify at Te Master cyclinder in the same way as the Tx one. SO i can put my webers on. I've got a Brand New Master cyclinder of my uncle but it's the same as what i got in my car now, so i was just wondering how i can modify it, like how i can move the fillers out of the way, and have it in the same sort of way as the Tx master cyclinder. I know someone has told me this b4, but i couldn't understand what they meant, so if anyone could help out, it would be great.
cheers.
Steve
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

I have been rallying,racing and building Gemini's for 15 years. The one and only way of fitting your webbers, is with the TX brake ass. It is a simple process. If you need help just ask...cheers
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

cool thanx for the advice mate, so i don't need the booster aswell?? just the master cylinder? Oh and another question, how the hell do i get to the bolts on the bottom of the inlet manifold?? without takin the engine out or something?
cheers mate.
Steve
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

Pervert..1.remove the water hoses from under the inlet manifold 2.Use a socket(12mm I beleve) with an extension bar or take the correct open-ended spanner, bend it 90 degress (use a vice and hammer)dont hit it to hard, it will break...cheers
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

Yes, you have to use both the booster and the master cylinder and the remote reservoir, as the booster for the TX is different to the later models. I'm not suer about the brake proportioning valve though.

Ben Wight
Steve
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

This is incorrect, you don't need any booster when fitting the webbers...
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

No i mean would i need to buy just the master cyclinder, or buy the whole booster aswell as the mastercyclinder?
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Ben Wight!! Reply with quote

do you know if you can get these TX Booster and Fillers brand new from PBR or something?? if so, how much would they be worth?? Cuz i really worried about puttin second hand brake parts onto my car, it already doesn't stop very good, dont wanna be messing around with it too much,
cheers.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

That is NOT the only or best or easiest way to go. The TX master cylinder will result in decreased braking performance than the later models. I have just done the conversion to remote reservoir as I fitted a set of sidedraughts too. I was going to post a w/s on it a bit later if anyone is interested.
To summarise you need:
1)A plate of 4mm mild steel
2)tubing (brass) the same diameter as the stubs on the bottom of the current reservoir.
3)a remote reservoir from the wreckers (I found the bitsamissing L300 perfect. You take the bracket it is on and mount it on the fuel filter bracket.
4)Some longer fluid hose.
Take off the reservoir and use it as a template on the mild steel plate. silver solder the tubes into the holes to the same length as the stubs on the reservoir. You should also form an elbow in the tube to carry the hoses off horizontally. Just plug everything thing back together, top up the reservoir and bleed the brakes. No need to change booster or master cylinder.
I'll try and have some photos up next week if anyone's interested.
Cheers
Michael
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ben Wight!! Reply with quote

wat style webbers are you putting in?? downdrafts or side drafts?
if fitting downdrafts no need to change the booster
but the boosters do fit as my TD assembly bolts straight into the TX and all we had to do was change the bundy tuube going from the brake valves to the proportioning valves
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

No need, I have a picture of the one I did for the Race car here .. Smile (last 2 pictures on the page)

Michael

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/bussani/slugnews2.html
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

Are the bores of the Tx Master cylinder different to thoses of later model master cylinders ????

SLug the conversion you have is excellent and looks engineeringly sound.
As for silver soldering bits of brass tubing to a bit of mild steel. This insn't a job for your average joe blow.
What about proper barbs for the hose to attach to. What about correct rubber hose for brakes you can't just use any bit of hose lieing around in the garage.
The theory is sound with this conversion but the practical sounds a little basic and flawed. REMEMBER GUYS this is your life you are playing with and brakes are a esential safety item. DOn't scrimp on them.

Doesn't matter how much power you have got if you can't pull it up at the end its wasted. I've seen cars at supersprint with small amounts of power but great brake flog, guys with huge engines and tiny brakes.

Sorry for the long post and my ranting and raving. But hate to see any one come unstuck and hurt themselves or other by trying a conversion that a bit dodgy.

CuGem -- I don;t think your dodgy, But i just dont think that a conversion that should be attemped by the average joe blow.

And my last 2cents worth - I am a qualified CAMS scrutineer. And if i saw car presented to me with a silver soldered joint like that i would have to knock it back. As the quality of the joint could not be determined and i would also worry about vibration. Also what is sealing the plate to the matercylinder ???

**bright idea*** Cugem has the idea just need some refinement. Why not drill and tap the 2 holes that are in the mild steel plate where the tube are to go and screw in proper barbs.

Matt
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

True enough. I supplied the parts and had a brake component manufacturer engineer it for me (BHS). It is definitely not something to be attempted without the skills. The tubes have a barb on the end of them. The plate looks just like the bottom of the existing reservoir and fits into the grommets the same way. Therefore no problem with leakage. I run silicone brake fluid so I have a wider selection of hose available to me. If you're running standard stuff, yeah, you'll need B. fluid line.

Cheers
Michael
ms_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

im running a single 45mm webber and every thing still fits. im running a mazda remote resevoir on thr standard gemi master cylinder and booster setup...works for me...stop on a dime...haven't had a prob with it.
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Master Cyclinder? Reply with quote

That cool and agreed Silicon allow for a great range of cable.

But so PERVERT understands as well changing to silcon fluid mean flushing the whole system, old fluidand silicon are compatible and should not be mixed.

PERVERT: I know it may sound like i am trying to sell my stuff. Think about it, what CuGem is suguesting is going to cost more than the $100 i offered the booster and cylinder to you for. IT also has all the nescessary lines from the cylinder to the porportioning valve. I understand you have a brand new cylinder ready to go. Why not sell it and use the money for the real deal.

I can't see how it could reduce the effectiveness of your braking system !!!! i've got one on my rally car and it stops like a dream and has great feel and pedal travel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: