HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

dash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: dash Reply with quote

Im keen to turn the shiste tan dash on my TE black. Can anyone recommened sprays for doing this and any helpfull tips on doing it....
cheers n see ya sideways
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: dash Reply with quote

I've just completed mine. Was an old tan one made up of different bits from other dash's, looked like hell.

You don't need to take your dash off to do this, as long as you carefully mask everything up. The only bits on mine I removed where the glove box cover and the steering column cover.

Wipe everything down really well with a damp cloth (no detergents or polish on it) make sure its clean with no dust or anything.

Then dry it up really well with a dry cloth.

Now go buy some vinyl spray, comes in a can for about 10 bucks a pop. Two cans should safely do your whole dash with a good coating.

Once everything is masked up take to the dash with spray. Spray it really lightly from side to side. Do it very slow and you will get good results. ie : Spray a stroke and wait for it to dry then do another. Vinyl spray is very quick drying.

Oh yeh the vinyl spray works great on plastic as well so its ok to use the same spray for everything.

Just be careful not to spray it too thick at once or else it will bubble up. If it does at any time always have a damp cloth ready and wipe it off quick as possible. Rub it back with a dry cloth and continue.

Heres the result of my sprayed dash, looks pretty good I think.

http://members.iweb.net.au/~orca/gemi1.jpg
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: dash Reply with quote

yeah...

...my dash is black - black carpet... nice and tidy, doesn't fade or crack...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: dash...dye Reply with quote

VHT also do a vinyl and carpet dye. Rather than a layer of paint that can peel or wear over time, this stuff is actually a dye that penetrates the vinyl. Can also be used to change the colour of fabrics too such as door trims, carpeted parcel shelves or even seats. Quite a few colours available too.

Yonnee.
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: dash...dye Reply with quote

yonee.....what sort of prep is involved with the dye...i wouldnt mind doing the lot, cards, roof lining etc
SikGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: dash Reply with quote

Boog... I take it you like McDonalds?? hehehe Smile
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: dash...dye Reply with quote

A good clean surface. Wax & Grease remover should do the trick on your vinyl surfaces. On your fabric surfaces, get a cheap/old paint brush. Spray a small section, then rub it in with the brush. That way you don't get little paint balls sitting on the surface. Have to mask everything too, cause it will also stick to metal surfaces. I have VR door pods and have found some Statesman metal grilles which I sprayed with this stuff. Worked a treat.

Yonnee.
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: dash Reply with quote

heh, nah just came from hungrys before i'd taken that pic. One of the rare times my car was messy inside Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: