HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Eggy...more help please(or anyone else)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Eggy...more help please(or anyone else) Reply with quote

Cheers for your input before.
I loosened of all tappet adjustment screws but still get a slight 'snapping' resistance when i turn over the camshaft. The cam turns totally freely(i can turn it by hand, its not scrubbing out, plenty of oil) except when the lobes are opening and this slight snapping resistance is felt. Is this Normal?
Also, the 2nd exhaust valve rocker arm, even with the adjustment screw totally loosened, the rocker still touches the top of the valve, is this normal?
Basically i just want to make sure its all god before i bolt the bitch up.
cheers again.......Tim
mykl
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Eggy...more help please(or anyone else) Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on a o/h cam - the cam shaft was bent. it wasn't much but did just what you described, a "snapping" action in one part of the shaft's rotation when turning by hand. I ignored it in the end thinking the bearings would hold it true. it lasted about a week.
Regards,
Mykl
TimD
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eggy...more help please(or anyone else) Reply with quote

Hmmmm, na i cant see that being the prolem.
Before the rebuild, it was fine, the problem i have outlined was non existant, it has only happened since i have re assembled rocker assembly.....im onto it tho, i think ihave rectafied the problem
cheers
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Eggy...more help please(or anyone else) Reply with quote

check that you have the cam end caps in the correct order,

they are numbered, also make sure that the cam end caps are all from the same head that you have on the engine as the are line bored and should not be interchanged,

also if you have time try a different camshaft,

if your head is bent or block is not true this could cause the head to flex when under tension and the the camshaft will bind,

cheers eggy,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: