HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

Here are my questions in regards to using a diesel gemini crossmember in a 4Z*1 conversion:

1. How much further forward will the engine sit?

2. Will it sit lower? (How much lower?)

3. Do you need more than just the crossmember?

4. Has anyone actually done this or seen it done or is it "in theory" ?

Thanks Smile
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

I think it was about 10cm, its enough for the dissy to clear the fire wall. Im fairly sure it sits lower too because you dont have clearance probs if you put in a 4ze1 and the steering rack end up in a different position.
You will also need the diesel tail shaft which is also about 10cm longer than a normal one and slightly modify the gearbox mounts.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

Why would you do it when you don't need to?
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

I'm considering doing it if it makes the engine sit lower. I have a 4ZD1 that is going to have a blow through carby setup. There may be a clearance problem in regards to the airbox and crossover pipe possibly hitting the bonnet. I'll measure it up soon to see if there is a problem or not.
That's the only reason really.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

But it will also make the engine sit further forward which isnt good.. But if you need the extra height clearance then you wouldn't have much choice
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel crossmember in 4Z*1 conversion. Reply with quote

That's what I'm weighing up. I just had a quick look and I think I'll have enough clearance. Although I'm open to offers for the engine if the price is right..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: