HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemmi Engine Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boog
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Gemmi Engine Questions Reply with quote

I bought a gemmi wagon (TF) last week, its great. Its the best car I've ever driven and I love it to bits.

I've got a fair few plans on getting it how I want it, most of these are cosmetic stuff like the interior and exterior and the conversation to a panel van.

However I don't know a whole lot about engines and running gear. The engine has about 300,000 kms on it which to me seems pretty steep. Its just a standard 1600 with a 5 speed. Would it be worth putting a new (rebuilt or reco) 1600 in there before it dies, I mean how much could I expect to get back on the old one.. if anything.

How much would I expect to pay for an engine replacement including labour .. etc.. the whole deal.

The mechanic I go to now is great and knows his stuff but hes getting on a bit and is starting to charge more. Could anyone recommend me a good place in adelaide to get the work done at a reasonable cost.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your wisdom Smile
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemmi Engine Questions Reply with quote

wait till it dies, drive it easy and save your money then do something crazy.. always try and upgrade! Smile

suggestions in (rough) order of easyness
Isuzu sohc g200 (2l with carby)
isuzu Dohc 1800 ot 2000 (efi, hard to get but a great engine)
Rodeo engines 2.3l, 2.6l carby and efi
ca18det (turbo!! a bit of a bastard to do but well worth it)
a commodore v6 (heavy and most here hate it but the car would still fly (in a straight line! think power to weight)

umm yeah this shit os covered everywhere thru the forum, hit the search link up there ^ and type in engine conversions or something for more info, or have a look thru adams orignal posts on gertrude in the workshops for more info!

cheers
Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: