HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gearboxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Gearboxes Reply with quote

I am changing my car from a stupid auto to a 5 spd manual, i have everything such as the tailshaft, pressure plate, adapter and flywheel and shit already, i just wanna know what distance and etc i need to cut a new hole in for it
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

put the box in, and the let rip with the angle grinder untill you can see the hole in the top of the gearbox. make sure you plug the hole though. i guess this would be the easiest way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

Although I have never done this,(Auto to manual) I have a idea that you might find the hole is in the RIGHT position for a remote shifter, ie too far back for the standard shifter.. Let me know will ya Smile ... Michael
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

actually the hole for an auto is too far forward for the standard maanual gearbox stick. you'll have to cut out some of the body between the existing hole, and the handbrake. IF you are fitting the remote shifter like which comes with the twin cams, you'll have to cut out even a bigger hole.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

Eh? I found the opposite to be true, the auto hole is probably a good 5 inches (from centre to centre) too far back for the manual gear lever.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

i agree,
and the bloody manual boot doesn't fit real good unless you pre think your hole cutting,
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

COUGHrace-tapeCOUGH
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearboxes Reply with quote

Yeah, your right. Now I remember, you cut close to the heater box with the angle grinder when cutting the new hole, so the auto hole is too far bac, NOT too far forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: