HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

202 motor/differential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykl
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

i have fitted a 202 red motor to my Gem. pulls like a tractor as diff ratio (3.9) is too low. will a Torana diff fit the Gemini diff housing?
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

no the torana diff will not fit,
take the front guards of and it will feel more like a tractor,

Why a 202?

what gearbox? auto I presume?

why not put bigger rims on the back??

Cheers
Eggy
mykl
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

Eggy, thanks for the info on the diff. i was kind of hoping a centre out of a 2.78 or 3.08 Torana diff would fit. the 202 was fitted 'cause i had a perfectly good one laying around looking like it should be used. There is a bit more to it then that, i and a couple of mates have rehashed a Gemini to make a two seater Lotus type sports car using all the original parts from a Gemini. it drove very well (in fact it went like stink - the whole thing only weighs 620kg and handles like it was part of the road) in fact it will go a lot better than i'm game to push it. however we decided to try the 202 just to see what it would be like. and yes we are looking at bigger rims/tyres but thought we would like to try a better diff ratio. is there any other diff that would replace the 3.9 originally fitted. regards Mykl
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

you could whack a diesel diff under there, 3.5 ratio would be at least a little better and wont cost you more than $100.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

i was told vl turbo centers fit with the cut axels
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

Hey you'll have to send some pic's in to be displayed I don't think anyone ,
has modd'd a Gem in that direction before,

anyway you can get different ratio's as the gemini diff centre is the same as the VB - VK commodore 6 cylinders, BUT.... the Pinion is different so you cannot change centres without having to geat rid of the torque tube...

Plan B, get yourself and old Celica 5spd that will give you better gearing and a better box than the holden 3 or 4 speed,

cheers
Eggy
mykl
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 202 motor/differential Reply with quote

Tks to fastgem, Gene & eggy. Looks like a diesel diff, 14" wheels and a celica box is the way to go. I'll try to get a couple of photos posted somewhere down the track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: