HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Yes more problems!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Yes more problems! Reply with quote

Ok heres an update although no-one seems to care. I got sick of stuffing with the g200 nikki so I put the weber back on and got it working better than before. I was just leaving for uni when I got 10m down the road and it just died. Further experimentation showed that under load, anything more than about 1/4 throttle was impossible. The engine just dies. The float level is fine and everything looks like its where it should be, so now I'm really stumped. I tested it by sitting with the handbrake on, slowly letting out the clutch a bit, than as revs drop, increasing throttle etc. until it gets to a point where the engine cuts out unless I backed off on the throttle and disengaged the clutch.
Can someone please help me out with this??
Phil
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes more problems! Reply with quote

Possible problems:

1, loose wires, also check that the old carbi wires are not making contact with anything.

2, Air leak, check around the manifold for air leaks.

3, Blocked jet??, flooding??

Questions:
How does the engine idle?
how does the weber sound while increasing rev's, and at idle. I mean that you can roughly tune a weber by it's sound,

you should have a smooth even sound from the weber at idle, NOT like a kid sucking through a straw in an empty glass, and the engine should idle smoothly.

how does it sound under 1/4 throttle?
is the engine able to hold the rev's without load?
is it coughing and spluttering?

Cheers
Eggy
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes more problems! Reply with quote

It idles perfectly, and increasing revs sounds smooth enough other than a few pops and cackles, when backing off, that I thought were associated with the weber being jetted too rich. It's pretty much perfectly normal without load.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes more problems! Reply with quote

crackle and pop when backing off means idle too lean,

well i'm stumped, have to have a look and listen to help any more,

cheers
Eggy
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

Sorry I got it wrong, without load it still dies. Probably about 1/2 throttle just before the secondary butterfly opens up, I just checked then.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

when it dies does it sound like it is staving..

if so on the side of the weber preuming you have a 32/36,
is 2 little brass screw's pull the one on the secondary side out and extract the little brass jet and check it is clean.

is your accelarator pump working?

cheers
Eggy
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

the one ummm on top or the one in the float bowl? Yeah the accelerator pump works fine.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

the top jet is your air correction: it controls the time the fuel is delivered from the main jet,

the one in the bottom of the float bowl is the main jets,

the jet I was refering to is the Progresion jet these work before the main jet and before the secondary main jet,

it is located in the side under the top plate outside the carbi, there should be 2 one for idle & progression from idle to main jet and the other one on the other side is the progression from main jet to the secondaries,

have a look at it it sounds like that may be a starting point,

Cheers
Eggy
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

Ignore that post I found the one on the side, yeah it's clean I just blew it out with carby cleaner aswell, some came out of a hole in the secondary choke so I assume that means it's not blocked
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

OK then I'm starting to lead towards fuel delivery???

1/what sort of pump are you using? and how old is the filter

2/ check your fuel bowl for water? ie empty the bowl and refill.

3/ check your secondary jet at the bottom of the bowl it may be blocked

4/good luck and recheck everything.

cheers
Eggy
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

OK, thanks heaps for the help, it's starting to work off and on now. I'm flicking the throttle between idle and full, and it still dies sometimes but it also is starting to keep revving higher now. I think whatever was blocked is slowly being unblocked.
Thanks again!!
Phil
Phil
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

OK, thanks heaps for the help, it's starting to work off and on now. I'm flicking the throttle between idle and full, and it still dies sometimes but it also is starting to keep revving higher now. I think whatever was blocked is slowly being unblocked.
Thanks again!!
Phil
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: correction Reply with quote

other options,
the venturi, should have a brass insert that somtimes rotates, check that it is pointing down,
pull the air correction jets out and then remove the emolution tubes they may be blocked ( the brass tubes under the air correction jets, use a bend bit of hard wire,

cheers

Eggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: