HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent47
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys and Gals,
Ive bought my first gemini a little while ago and worked very hard for it and love it to death.
Its a tf 161.
Im new to the seen but i know bits and pieces.
And i know i want ot make it a bit quicker

Ive put together a few things that i might be able to do and ive budgeted.

1.Im looking at a Webber carby ot Singler or twin=what size and does anyone have any for sale.

2.Manifold=What type to fit single or twin any one got one

3.Extractors=what type and anyone got any around

4.Cam= Now this is probably first up ive been recomended a stage 2 mild cam from og speed(im in adelaide) shop but im open to any opinions on this maybee you know of a better one.

5. Throttle body= What the

6.maybee to take it out to a 1.8 or 1.9

Please help and im open to any suggestions and what better place to ask these questions. Thanks Smile Smile
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

cool, i dont know much either but ill give it a go

1.Im looking at a Webber carby ot Singler or twin=what size and does anyone have any for sale. 32/36 is pretty commen, theres always 1 or 2 for sale sometimes in other states so u could get one posted. try the search function for some answers cause theres endless info on this site.

2.Manifold=What type to fit single or twin any one got one.
not sure bout this one

ppl always got some, probly about $50-$100 for some

4.Cam= Now this is probably first up ive been recomended a stage 2 mild cam from og speed(im in adelaide) shop but im open to any opinions on this maybee you know of a better one. not sure

5. Throttle body= dunno about this 1 either

6.maybee to take it out to a 1.8 or 1.9, yeah that would be alright but even just getting bigger valves, a bit of head work is good, or just get the bottom end balanced

its not much of a response but its better than nuthin
kizza
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

1. i would go the weber or 18o holley or even a 40mm weber.
2. if you can find twin webers buy a redline manifold.
3. extractors prob genie or pacemakers perferrably ones with out the hot air stove
4. Cam hmm i would go a crow or a tighe or even wade and always try to buy one with the cam card
5. throttle body only if you have efi
6.if you money can stretch that far buy a g200 or g180
and yeah port the haed fit bigger valves.
Badger
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

1.Im looking at a Webber carby ot Singler or twin=what size and does anyone have any for sale.

unless you are building a full race engine, you want a single carb. for a little more power go a 32/36, you will need an adaptor plate for this (not really a good idea, the adaptors are restrictive) better is a 40mm or 45mm side draft, much more tunable to your exact engine characteristics (really good if you are going to do stuff in stages). I have a 45 mm Weber dcoe for sale if you want, $450 ono including manifold to suit, I am in adelaide too. email at dbadger@don't spam me.physics.adelaide.edu.au ( remove "don't spam me.") or post here

2.Manifold=What type to fit single or twin any one got one

need one to suit your carb(s) see above

any type will be an improvement over stock. most ones 2nd hand or at wreckers will do, get a 2 in system and a lo restriction muffler too. adding a resonator will quiet things down more, if you want to! If you are after max possible power, then a length matched mandrel bent system is best, but it will cost you heaps.

4.Cam= Now this is probably first up ive been recomended a stage 2 mild cam from og speed(im in adelaide) shop but im open to any opinions on this maybee you know of a better one.

if you want a cheap one, OG can regrind your existing cam. if you have a few more dollars, a camtech kit (cam, springs, rockers) is a better option. make sure you get the rocker geometry right when you put it in. other brands aren't too bad. make sure you get a cam that matches what you want to do with the car, and what you have done to the engine.
if you are going to all this (ie remove the head) you might as well get the early head with the bigger valves and better ports. get a bit of porting done too, and if you are really keen, extra big valves
5. Throttle body= What the
this is part of an EFI system, basically just a butterfly which lets the air in, controls the power of the engine (run from the accelerator pedal!) having one for each cylinder can increase top end power (really race car only stuff). if you want to go to EFI, it will be easier to drive and tune than carbs, but won't really give more power.

6.maybee to take it out to a 1.8 or 1.9
this involves completely rebuilding the engine, new pistons, probably conrods too and won't give as much power as the above mods would for much more cost. if you are not restricted to using the original block (ie motorsport regulations) it would be a lot easier and cheaper to put an import 1.8 or 2L engine in than bore it out if you want more capacity. I am currently running the 1600 (rally regs say has to be the original block) and have ~110 kw with efi, cheap exhaust + extractors, cam, early head and basic porting (had about the same power with the weber). the stock 2L from the 85 rodeo has 65kw, and for the cost of the engine change you could do carb, exhaust, head and cam.

my suggestions (in order):
exhaust, then carb, then cam and head together (if you want to save cash you could port your existing head (and put bigger valves in it too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: