HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

new to gemis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EX SKYLINE ON2 GEMS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: new to gemis Reply with quote

my mate gave me his old gemi, good nick auto, i want to spend no more than say $2000 just as a weekend muckabout to play with but want some balls, where should i start? know heaps on turbos, i had a silhouette sky with a to4 setup off its nut, ran a 11.27 down the quarter, i must admit i didnt do ne of the work caus ei spent over 8 though on the eng, so this is my chance to hav a bit of fun and learn stuff with low costs. where should i start?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

Welcome aboard dude! I still am a Skyline/Nissan man myself and have been for a number of years, But like you i got into Gemini's as a relatively cheap bang for your buck kinda deal. And they look pretty nice either in lowered clean stock standard form, or modified to the hilt.
On a personal note, while i'm mucking about with my TX I'm saving for a '96 model 180SX with an S15 front conversion (Sileighty). Plans are for a 400hp/300KW SR20 with plenty of HKS & Trust gear and 22 pounds of boost from a 3037S turbo. Anyways enough babbling...
The only real advice i can give you that you could tackle head on would be - 1) Grab a set of extractors and decent exhaust system. 2) Have a go at replacing the cam with an aftermarket item - it's explained in the workshop section of this site. And 3) Get hold of a decent 32/36 Webber for the obligitory carby change. All the details are set out in this site -- http://www.giant.net.au/users/wight/index.htm by Ben Wight, who frequents this forum regularly and is a wealth of knowledge.
These three mods alone can be tackled by a relatively uneducated person, so you shouldn't have headaches.
Once again, welcome to the site of Gemmi nuts and enthusiasts. You're sure to learn tonnes thru this site very quickly.
Cheers,
Jasyn...
tim hill
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

put a twin turbo 13B in it,
but that might cost over 2 grand.
bad_gemini82
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

hey man

welcome and hope you find people as friendly as i did.

what you need to do is to sit down and find out what you want it for.

if you wanna do burnouts and the odd race of the lights. your could go with a sports exhuast and extractors (for about $300) and possibley a webber is all you need. also the polution control can be removed if you dont mind running the risk if cops mabey giving you a defect (if there bastards)

also mags, tints, sound system really improve the look and hopfully turns heads and picks up the chicks.

i have a TF and its standerd (minis polutin control) donk with extractors sports exhuast. and i have beaten 4l falcons,new celicas and 3.8 commodores. and as far as burnouts go.... SMOKING KILLS but really pisses the other P platers off at school when im showing them up at school...

just a few sugestions.
EX SKYLINE ON2 GEMS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

thanx for your advice man, much apprieciated, im getting keen to start soon, ive read a bit on draw through turbo system with carby b4 the turbo, what i do not understand is, wouldnt the fuel fun through the turbo to the inlet manifold? liquid running through the turbo, is that healthy? especially petrol, wouldnt it ignite or take combustion compotition from the fuel content b4 entering the chamber?
eager to lean, SKYJET
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

O.K, i'm gonna answer this one with trying to be as unbiased as humanly possible (you'll understand why eventually). Yes, fuel will be running thru the turbo impeller wheel. This can have it's benefits and also has it's drawbacks. I cant tell you what any of the benefits or drawbacks would be for fear of turning this thread into a huge debate. But what i can tell you, is at the top of this page you will find a link named 'search'. Go to it and punch in the keywords 'blow through V's draw through'. Be prepared with a cup of hot coffee (or a beer if thats your thing) and read all of the posts that cover this subject. There will be absolutely shit-loads of reading and learning ahead for you. After you've done that, then start using the search function for other query's you may have. You'll be surprised at how much you will learn using the search link.
Just a word of warning, dont ask the rest of the forum which set-up would be better - it has consequences and repurcussions that would make satan himself whince. Just base your opinion on what you have read and learned, then you will be ready to start building your Gem to the specs you wish.
There is one person on this forum that has a decent amount of turbo experience and that's Ben Whight. He would be the man to chat to for any technical or in-depth questions that need answering.
And if part numbers are what you are chasing, then Yonnee is your man - AKA 'Racegem'. He works for and is a devoted employee for Autobarn. His ears will be burning any second now - he can sense the word Autobarn from the other side of the globe.
Welcome aboard.
cheers,
Jasyn...
greg j
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: new to gemis Reply with quote

lol at gold tx sleeper! (i think he has summarised the site quite well) hello ex syline in2 gems, welcome aboard! hope you enjoy your stay! so where ya from?
greg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: